1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP... Breaking the Bank

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dud122, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Nov 10, 2008 at 6:07 AM
    dud122

dud122 [OP] rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!
    Hi all...

I just took my newly purchased '02 3.4 DC 4x4 into the shop today for a check engine light and got a $1000 estimate back.... being that i just purchased this truck my funds are a little low so i was wondering how many of the repairs might be doable by me. here's the skinny...

Left Rear Parking brake cable needs replaced

Bank 1 o2 sensor 1 needs replaced

Air filter needs replaced (deck plate is already ordered and will pe getting a AFE Pro-Dry S Drop-In Air Filter soon)

battery needs replaced (i can do)

tires need to be replaced soon

brakes need replaced soon

i don't have a lot of experience working on trucks but i plan on learning as much as i can so that i can do most of this stuff myself. i also have friends and relatives that could help me out a lot with this stuff.

what do you think??????

2. Nov 10, 2008 at 6:11 AM
    montgomery_30824

montgomery_30824 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Guyton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '06 prerunner 4dr
    K & N airfilter, custom built 10" sub boxes, pioneer head, mag-lite mod, Blue LED dash lights, custom painted engine cover, mud flap removal mod, alarm/remote start installed,
    take it back to where u got it from and tell them to fix it.

3. Nov 10, 2008 at 6:13 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    x2

4. Nov 10, 2008 at 6:20 AM
    dud122

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!
    i got the guy who was selling it to me to take 500 off his asking price for repairs that would probably come up so I don't think I can ask him to fix everything in addition to that.

any suggestions on how i can fix this stuff??

5. Nov 10, 2008 at 6:28 AM
    montgomery_30824

montgomery_30824 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Guyton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '06 prerunner 4dr
    K & N airfilter, custom built 10" sub boxes, pioneer head, mag-lite mod, Blue LED dash lights, custom painted engine cover, mud flap removal mod, alarm/remote start installed,
    you can ask for anything. just let him know what all is wrong and maybe he will help you out. if not. sorry for your luck.

6. Nov 10, 2008 at 6:57 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    The brakes will be easy. Whether it's just the pads or replacing the whole rotor, the brakes will be easy.

Tires, you gotta have that done at a tire shop or something.

Don't know much about the parking brake cable, but it doesn't sound hard.

Same with the O2 sensor. Sounds easy, but sounds like an expensive part... :)

Good luck to you! If you're really willing to learn a lot about your truck, you'll have fun doing it. I'm not that mechanically inclined, but I've been donig all the work on my new '09 and having a great time learning about it! The only problem is having enough stuff to do...... :)

7. Nov 10, 2008 at 7:05 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Look around the forums and craigslist for tires, lots of folks looking to sell brand new or close to brand new tires because they upgraded or toyota did the buy back.

02 sensor's you can find online and its not hard to replace at all.

8. Nov 10, 2008 at 7:08 AM
    Slow

Slow Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 TRD
    Get a Haynes Book and buddy and spend a Saturday working on you list. Or/and shop for deals on tires, brakes, etc...everyone is hurting and offering low prices right now.

9. Nov 10, 2008 at 7:12 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    Excellent suggestion. None of the things you need done (with the exception of the tires of course) require any specialized tools. Grab a buddy that has some experience working on cars, pay attention to the book, and you can do all this yourself easily.

10. Nov 10, 2008 at 8:31 AM
    dud122

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    my mechanic said the o2 sensor part alone would cost 341.22 from the toyota dealership... he said there are some universal ones out there that cost less but i would be back in to get that replaced in a couple months and should go with the one from the dealership. i have been searching the forums and people are talking about bosch oem sensors for $100... whats the difference between the bosch ones and the one the mechanic wants me to get for $341???

11. Nov 10, 2008 at 8:37 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    The Original O2 sensors are Denso. Rock Auto has them for $145.79 (upstream). Downstream is a lot less $$$.

www.rockauto.com

12. Nov 10, 2008 at 9:08 AM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    The brakes are easy.....very easy. Parking brake cable....never done it, but probably not too bad. You can get the o2 sensor for way less and if you can turn a wrench in the right direction, you can replace it. BTW, besides the CEL, is your truck running bad?.......poor gas mileage? If not, don't even worry about the o2 sensor. Mine has been setting off the CEL for over a year now. You'll have to shop around for tires, but there are good deals if you look. For what it's worth, I'm no mechanic and right now my 02 is in my garage with the brake drums torn apart right now. Get the Haynes manual, it helps.

13. Nov 10, 2008 at 9:13 AM
    geerts016

geerts016 geerts016

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SR5 4x4
    alpine 9884 deck, auxilary LED backup lights, alpine 6x9's, alpine 6's, rockford p1000 amp, two rockford p2 10" subs, seat heaters, deezee tool box painted BSP, aero 2525 exhaust, halo projector headlights, LED light strip in hood scoop, black mesh grill, tinted taillights, window visors
    parking brake cable is easy you just have to know if it's the front half or the rear half. definitely do-able.

14. Nov 10, 2008 at 9:24 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...09&catalogid=1&year=2002&make=34&model=Tacoma

$341? What parts catalog is he quoting. A quick search of online Toyota part dealer doesn't show one for that much, not even over $200:confused:

15. Nov 10, 2008 at 9:57 AM
    dud122

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    my mpg is between 18 and 19 right now... maybe 50% highway. it does feel a little sluggish.

i'll go with www.rockauto.com for the sensor

the mechanic told me it was the left rear parking break cable that was stretched but on www.trademotion.com it's just refered to as rear and on rockauto.com it says back right. do both rear wheels lock on an 02 tacoma DC 4x4?

16. Nov 10, 2008 at 1:35 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
  17. Nov 10, 2008 at 1:41 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    do a little tune up maybe, and run some seafoam thru the brake booster line.......it'll smooth out the idle and clean out all the carbon in the combustion chamber.....and its easy to do.

18. Nov 10, 2008 at 1:45 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
  19. Nov 10, 2008 at 1:46 PM
    dud122

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    what does the seafoam spray have to do with a stretched cable? i'll do it anyway because it sounds like a good idea but it seems like i'll still be left with the same problem...

nm... you were refering to the low mpg... my bad

20. Nov 10, 2008 at 1:46 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    They are legit. I've bought my upstream O2 sensor from them. A lot of supercharger guys have bought their fuel mods from URD.

Products Discussed in

To Top