1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

guide to installing Camburg UCA on a 1st gen taco w/ a 6" fabtech lift

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 03TRDtacotrucker, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Nov 10, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    03TRDtacotrucker

03TRDtacotrucker [OP] No Road. No Problem.

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Vehicle:
    03 SC double cab TRD SR5 4X4
    TRD supercharger, URD 7th injector, Map 3 ECU, 2.2 URD pulley, Doug Thorley headers, Bear River tru performance hi flow cat, 18" Magnaflow muffler, 6" fabtech lift, 33" Goodyear wrangler tires, the old all pro tube rear bumper, ARB front bumper with smitty built 8k winch, pro comp krawlers 87 series wheels, roof rack, 60" hi-lift jack, K&N intake, grey wire mod, front and rear diff breather mod, G2-performance 4.56 gears w/ royal purple oil, red top optima battery, PreRunner Tiregate with full size spare, Radflo front coilovers, Custom home made front skid plate, rear bilstein 5150 series shocks, Elite sliders w/o kick, Camburg UCA, mech grill with old school TOYOTA logo, ash tray removal Cobra CB radio w/ Firestik - List as of 1-17-18
    Doing this on a MAC without a paint program so sorry if its hard to fallow, did my best to be as descriptive as I could instead. Couldnt fine a thread anywhere for an install guide for these with this truck and a fabtech lift so figured I would make one.
    IMG-20111026-00069.jpg
    before install
    IMG-20111028-00082.jpg
    Jack the truck up and remove both front tires
    IMG-20111026-00072.jpg
    remove pin from UCA ball joint bolt and then remove the bolt (use some PB blaster if necessary to help loosen the bolt) then using a hammer hit the bottom of the UCA next to the ball joint up to free the BJ from the UCA.
    IMG-20111026-00073.jpg
    Next remove the BJ boot clamp and then the snap ring (you can remove the snap ring with a pair of pliers and a flat head screw driver, but helps to use a snap ring removing tool even with mine being too small) Next since you are replacing the BJ anyways just spray the base of the BJ with some PB blaster and knock it down through the spindle using a small sledge or hammer.
    IMG-20111026-00074.jpg
    Now using a C-clamp style press that I rented from O'reillys press the new lower part of the uniball into the spindle and then install the new snap ring (make sure to use a generous amount of anti-seize on this part or else you will have trouble getting it into place since the size of the fabtech spindle makes the press difficult to use here) you will most likely have to back off and press it a couple times before it will seat in place enough for the snap ring to clear (took me about 3 times each side)
    IMG-20111026-00070.jpg
    on the drivers side under the battery tray you will have to remove a wiring harness clamp and the air bag sensor using a 10mm socket and then slide the coolant tank out in order for the UCA bolt to be taken out. using a 19mm socket remove the bottom UCA bolt and slide the bolt all the way out. (on the passenger side you will have to bend part of your fender well out using some channel locks and then remove another air bag sensor (10mm) and also move an A/C line over out of the way for the bolt to clear.
    IMG-20111028-00080.jpg
    next install the bushing into the new UCA and make sure to grease before installing. I found it easier to go ahead and install the UCA to the spindle not tightening the bolt down yet to help keep it in place while inserting the long bolt back through the new UCA (another hand will help with this part too) but this also makes it easier if your installing these by yourself.
    IMG-20111028-00081.jpg
    next tighten the long bolt back down and go ahead and tighten the uniball bolt down as well make sure to get these both good and tight since it is what's keeping your tire in place (85ft/lb). Make sure to re-install your air bag sensors and harness. Spray some lubricant on the uniball when finished to keep it from squeaking, I used silicone lube.
    IMG-20111029-00084.jpg
    Next re-install your tires and head to the nearest alignment shop, which is a must do after this. After that enjoy your new awesome UCA, which not only look great, but work great too :D....Wish I had more pictures or a paint program could have made this easier to fallow, but did my best with what I had. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and ill do my best to answer them, And no I did not gain any lift installing these, but did get better wheel travel and a smoother ride. All in all this job took me about 4 hours to do and ive never installed a UCA before this. Drivers side by the way is a little more difficult to do than the passenger side. would start with the passenger side first so you get a better feel for it before tackling the drivers side.

IMG-20111028-00078.jpg

2. Nov 10, 2011 at 10:48 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    Better ride after the UCA? or did you install them just for better suspension articulation?

Your setup looks great! Im not a big fan of DB lifts...but yours is setup nice!

3. Nov 11, 2011 at 1:08 AM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
  4. Nov 15, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    03TRDtacotrucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD supercharger, URD 7th injector, Map 3 ECU, 2.2 URD pulley, Doug Thorley headers, Bear River tru performance hi flow cat, 18" Magnaflow muffler, 6" fabtech lift, 33" Goodyear wrangler tires, the old all pro tube rear bumper, ARB front bumper with smitty built 8k winch, pro comp krawlers 87 series wheels, roof rack, 60" hi-lift jack, K&N intake, grey wire mod, front and rear diff breather mod, G2-performance 4.56 gears w/ royal purple oil, red top optima battery, PreRunner Tiregate with full size spare, Radflo front coilovers, Custom home made front skid plate, rear bilstein 5150 series shocks, Elite sliders w/o kick, Camburg UCA, mech grill with old school TOYOTA logo, ash tray removal Cobra CB radio w/ Firestik - List as of 1-17-18
    Yeah the ride is way better and the wheel travel is much better too. rides like it was stock again except for these worthless mud terrains that vibrate like hell and sound like a freight train going down the road, which is next in line to be changed. installed these because i needed new upper ball joints and figured what hell might as well since its pretty much the same labor time, so the change from worn out BJ to driving with these is like night and day would highly recommend. Alignment shop had a hell of a time getting their part done, but that could of just been the case with mine.

5. Nov 15, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    what kind of tires are you going for?

Camburg, all pro, and light racing are at the top of my list if I decide to go with some UCA's.

They looks sooo sick...esp the uniball arms.

6. Nov 16, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    03TRDtacotrucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Vehicle:
    im going with the goodyear duratrac tires, everyone has the BFG all terrains so feel like being different. Not to mention they are cool looking tires with a mean tread for an all terrain.

7. Jan 10, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    03TRDtacotrucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Vehicle:
    just got new tires went with some BFG KM2's. love the ride and their extremely quiet for a mud terrain. UCA's are holding up strong and the drive with the new tires feels like a brand new truck. well worth the money and the install time.

8. Jan 10, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    HAHA! yea man KM2s FTW!

9. Jun 10, 2014 at 1:01 PM
    Griff 99 TRD

Griff 99 TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma TRD Extended Cab 4x4
    K&N FIPK OME w/883s Air Raid TBS Trailgear Bumper Smoked Lights Mean Green Alternator JL Audio Sub/Amp HAT Speakers Pioneer Head Unit ARB bumper XD 128 16x8 wheels Odyssey battery BAMF Sliders Camburg UCAs
    Guys, I am definitely in a world of POOP with this!!! I have a '99 Tacoma SR5 V6 TRD and I can't get the "snap ring to clear." I first used a c-clamp style press, then I took it to a local shop where they used a 30 ton press and there wasn't enough clearance. The guy said I would have to grind down the top of the spindle.

10. Jun 10, 2014 at 8:28 PM
    043RZ

043RZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Spring Grove, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma SR5
    6" Fabtech Lift, OME Dakar leaf springs, BudBuilt Traction Bar, 15" American Racing Wheels, 5.29 Nitro Gears, 35" BFGs AT, Pioneer 200 Watt Stereo, 6x8 Pioneer speakers, Raised Front and Rear Diff Breathers, Deck Plate Mod, Red Interior Underglow, Red Exterior Underglow, Cool White LED Rock Lights,
    Very nice write up man!! Thumbs up! I to have a fatech 6 inch lift and have actually been looking for awhile on how to get rid of the fabtech struts up front. They ride like shit and i want my factory ride back. Soooo i have a question for ya. What brand of strut is that you have installed on your truck? And also did the manufacture of the strut supply you with that spacer to make?

11. Aug 28, 2014 at 5:10 PM
    03TRDtacotrucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Vehicle:
    The struts are Radflow coilovers. They were supposed to be an exact replacement for the fabtech struts. They seem to me to be about 1-2" too short. Fully extended out, they still seem a little short.

12. Jun 29, 2022 at 9:39 PM
    Reckless512

Reckless512 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 Toyota Tacoma double cab dlx
    How did those camburgs workout on that 6in lift, I hear there not compatible with 6 in lifts

13. Jun 29, 2022 at 10:17 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    @03TRDtacotrucker last posted over 7 years ago, so chances are, your question will go unseen...

Reckless512[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jun 29, 2022 at 10:24 PM
    02hilux

02hilux Paved roads not required

Member:
    Planet: EARTH
    Look like they work and fotn just fine for OP...

15. Jun 30, 2022 at 8:48 AM
    Reckless512

Reckless512 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    For sure I’m gonna take the gamble and install my camburgs with rough country 6in lift and see what happens but I’m sure it’ll be just fine

16. Jun 30, 2022 at 9:14 AM
    02hilux

Member:
    Keep in mind, RC and FT have different setup. RC is cheap and uses BJ spacer while FT have full length spindle. I don't know if the UCA will work for the BJ spacer setup.

RC $900 vs FT $2700

17. Jun 30, 2022 at 9:55 AM
    Reckless512

Reckless512 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah rough country has been nothing but trouble and wish I could go back in time and not have bought this truck with this lift already on it but of nightmare

18. Jun 30, 2022 at 10:08 AM
    02hilux

Member:
    I highly recommend the IFS elimination kit :D

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    TACOTU3 likes this.
  19. Jul 1, 2022 at 8:11 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member: