1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange bogging down in 4th-5th gear

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tylerm5000, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Nov 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    Latley my truck has been lugging and bogging down when driving in 4th or 5th gear on a flat road. It is a 5-speed. It is starting to piss me off. I have a fairly new clutch and the truck is maintained well. I'm not sure what the cause is. Sometimes it feels like it shifts hard and the clutch sometimes feels a little rough. I don't drive my truck like it's a POS either. I am probably the most grandpa-like 24 year old there is.

The other night I was on my way home from working at OHSU (35 mile drive) and it started a few miles from my house. I was driving 60 mph in 5th on a flat stretch and it felt like the clutch started slipping and no matter how much gas I gave it, it would continue to bog down. Even when I down-shifted, 4th gear did the same thing. When I got it home, it smelled like something was very hot. It didn't smell like clutch smell. There seems to be a slight vibration in the floor. It doesn't feel like a drive shaft vibration.

In addition, and this is weird, I have a very tight new front end on that truck but when I am driving, it feels like it is wondering. However, the steering is exceptionally tight. There is no play at all. I have 31x10.50 new tires and a new steering rack with all new bushings and tie-rods, ball joints etc. The entire front end is new.

Here is the weird thing. I thought I was crazy because when I would press on the clutch when driving, the truck would wonder! I thought it was just from me moving the steering wheel when I shifted my body around. I also noticed that the truck pulls to the right when I accelerate and it pulls to the left when I let off on the throttle.

I want to fix this problem but I have no idea as to what the cause may be. I was thinking axle wrap ( it has new springs, gas shocks etc) or it could be the clutch or one of the bearings in the transmission. Could it be a bad wheel bearing in the rear or the rear differential?

2. Nov 11, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Whoa you have some weird stuff going on. Dont know about the bogging but I would say the wandering could just be a bad alignment. Did they show you the print out after alignment was done with all the new parts?

3. Nov 11, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    jsexton

jsexton Member

Member:
    it sounds like you are in 4wd/stuck in 4wd....

4. Nov 11, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    Tylerm5000

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    Yeah they were very impressed with the ability to achieve full caster on a tacoma.

Left:
    Camber 0.2 (-0.3-0.7)
    Caster 2.5 (1.5-2.5)
    Toe 0.05 (-0.03-0.13)
    SAI 10.3 (9.8-11.3)
    Included angle 10.5 (9.5-12.0)

Right:
    Camber 0.1
    Caster 2.5
    Toe 0.05
    SAI 10.5
    Included angle 10.6

Cross camber 0.1
    Cross Caster -0.2
    Total toe 0.10

Rear left camber: -0.4
    Toe 0.12

Rear Right camber: 0.0
    Toe 0.04

Rear total toe 0.15
    Thrust angle 0.04

5. Nov 11, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    Tylerm5000

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    And yet I am not! Crazy stuff. I have no freaking idea. It has manual hubs that are free and it is in 2H.

Products Discussed in

To Top