1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Improving fuel economy

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Alderleet, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Nov 14, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    Alderleet

Alderleet [OP] Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    Hey all, i've seen the sticky about improving mileage, but i'm looking for more options.

I've registered my vehicle in my home state, where there isnt any sort of emissions standards for vehicles. luckily, i dont have to give two shits about the environment.

So what can I do to improve mileage? I've tried ethanol-free gasoline, which did a marked improvement. I ran a tank of generic 91 octane E10 blend from conoco-phillips, and a 92 octane ethanol free, and i ended up yeilding 44 more miles on the ethanol free. I drove it more aggressively with the ethanol free, which is hilarious that i still got better economy.

So, what can I do, to improve economy. No emissions standards to deal with.

2. Nov 14, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    I use cruise control as much as possible. Far more efficient than even the most diligent right foot.

And as far as I know, the higher octanes don't necessarily yield better mpgs. From a tutorial on another car forum (Legacy) I frequent, in order to achieve higher octane, detergents are used. And those detergents aren't conducive to better mpg.

Lastly, other obvious factors are what kind of tires you're running, air pressure inside the tire, etc.

Also do you have a topper? A topper will typically boost your mpg because there is less drag (tailgate in the upright position). If you don't have a topper, try lowering your tailgate when not stowing anything.

What kind of mpg are you getting?

I have a '98 xtra TRD and I'm averaging just over 20 mpg and that's about 85-95% city driving.

Sign up for Fuelly.com and start logging your data. The more factors and analysis you can provide, the better an idea you can get as to how to achieve higher mpgs.

Again, the best advice I can give is to utilize cruise control a lot.

3. Nov 14, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    haddix

haddix Well-Known Member

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    OME,315 k02, custom bumpers
    Driving more conservatively is going to yield more MPG than any additive. Get a scangauge and watch your mpg that way. It has helped me add a few more mpg.

Products Discussed in

To Top