1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001-04 Tacoma Frame Rust Inspection/Replacement Question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by palmxp3, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dec 9, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    palmxp3

palmxp3 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC TRD OR V6 4x4 Tacoma
    Hey All,

I recently purchased an 02 Taco that had the frame spray inspection done in 2010. After getting the truck up on a lift and inspecting the frame myself, there seems to be a lot of surface rust behind the rust proofing that Toyota had put on. There weren't any perforations however using the hammer method.

I know Toyota extended the frame warranty to 15 years, meaning I should be covered until 2017 if something happens. My question is how often I can take it to Toyota to have them inspect the frame. Once a year? Or only when there are perforations since the spray has already been put on?

2. Dec 9, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    rll131

rll131 rll131

Member:
    First Name:
    raymond
    elkton md 21921
    Vehicle:
    2000 2.4 liter 4 banger
    I used to have a 2001 i took it twice a year they never had a problem with me taking it to them and they did respray it one of the times before i sold it.

3. Jan 3, 2012 at 10:38 PM
    Messyt

Messyt Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the best Tacoma ever made, it failed the frame test with a dinky 3" hole and i don't think i'm going to take the check when they make me an offer. Here are the specs:

1998 toyota Tacoma Limited Xcab 5 speed manual, sunroof, power everything, trd, locking rear diff etc, you know... LOADED! Impossible to find. I've only ever seen 1 other one and it was the sissy automatic trans ;) i would only want that as a different truck. I will be buying a welding kitmand learning how to weld just to keep this truck one of a kind and highly collectible! Thank you for selling yours back to Toyota suckers!!!!! I WIN! the 2nd gens on can suck it!!!! Sorry, learn how to work on stuff you pansy's who dont deserve to even own such a mean truck! Hahaha!

4. Jan 3, 2012 at 10:40 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    wow you're cool:rolleyes:

5. Jan 4, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    lol, imagine how cool Messyt will look wrecked on the side of the road in his "highly collectible" Tacoma w/ its "dinky 3 hole" in the frame and shoddy-noob welding skills.

GL buddy

6. Jan 4, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    IllinoisTaco

IllinoisTaco Active Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 SR5

I would love to see pictures of this fancy rig he has.... Lets see some pictures of this "RARE" Taco!

:cool:

7. Jan 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    Orlo555

Orlo555 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco dcsb TRD sport
    Toyota dealers will inspect frames as many times as you want although if you bring it I'm every day they'll get annoyed with you. The buy back program ended as of the 1 st and was on all 2000 and earlier tacos. No mention yet If try would extend it as they have in the past. On 2001 to 2004 the 15 year warranty is good from date of first use and must have had a Toyota dealer do the spray coating and must have not salvage or rebuilt title, if those are met and you bring it back and Toyota find a hole in the 15 years they will replace the frame and supporting parts. Also whoever turned down a buy back is a fool Toyota was willing to pay 150% of highest Kelly blue book value plus an 1000 if bought another Toyota

8. Mar 15, 2012 at 10:55 PM
    ric9

ric9 Member

Member:
    I just received a check for my 97 4x4 stick. My warranty would have expired this July. I spoke at length with the agent who handled my case and found out:

The buyback is in effect until 15 years after inservice date for every 97-2000 Tacoma (95 & 96 & some 97 are now outside warranty of course) except those with a flood or salvage title. The vehicles must be driveable and have all oem components aboard (that includes all original equipment and even things like stereo components and alloy wheels, etc). And they let me pull my new tires off and replace with unmatched junk.

The frame replacement is in effect until 15 years after inservice for every 2001-2004 Tacoma with similar exclusions as above. There is a special exclusion though and it looks like this: Any Tacoma registered in the following states must HAVE ALREADY VISITED a Toyota dealership for inspection and possible frame coating before last years deadline of either 03-31-2011 or 12-31-2011 depending on the state:

CT, DE, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NH, NJ, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT, WI, WV, and DC

The registered owners received a notice telling the deadline to do this. There is only one exception to this deadline and that is NY extended until 12/31/2012. If the Tacomas are not brought in for inspection by the deadline they void the extended warranty.

If there are any Tacomas that were registered in the above listed states (except NY) that were not already brought in for inspection at a dealer the warranty is now void. Tacomas that were registered elsewhere and then moved to a state in the above list might or might not be exempt from the deadline depending on date of registration. Before someone buys a used Tacoma they should contact Toyota with the vin# so they can check.

For any Tacoma in those states that was inspected by deadline and for all those Tacomas not registered in those states the warranty remains in effect for 15 years past inservice date.

Also, the rust is forming from the inside out due to poor internal coating and NOT due to poor metallurgy or alloy problems or too much nickel, etc. There is coating on the outside therefore the rot will continue mostly unseen until perforation. If you can see the perforation the frame might already be dangerous to drive.

And when they inspect they do not need to "find a hole". They look at specific points in the frame and test it with a hammer and punch to force perforation. And that is because a lot of the rot is happening mostly unseen. Until it's too late. I took mine in for inspection in 09 and no problem. Then i went in recently for a gasket repair and they called me to say they were able to perforate that time. Anyway, this cannot be fixed by welding because the frame is literally rotting from the inside out. You can patch it in certain places for awhile. A friend is an expert welder and retired machinist. We build lots of things. But you can't weld rotted steel! On my truck the perforations were made right at the rear axle points. I imagine four wheelin along and the rear axle just separates from the frame while offroad going over some rocks. Or in high speed traffic on the way to work.
    Not a pretty picture.

Anyway I'm grateful for the check......and my skin..

9. Mar 16, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    CrushEm

CrushEm Member

Member:
    There's some (ahem) wiggle room on the discussion of equipment left in the truck, but you pretty much have all the points covered.

My suggestion is that you stay aware of when your truck's in-service date is. If you go past it when the perforation is found... you will be SOL.

10. Apr 3, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    jodjr

jodjr Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma V6
    I just got home from my local dealer and my 2003 Tacoma SR5 Extra Cab failed the inspection. The paperwork said "No Hammer". It was undercoated by a dealer in 2009 and it's all flaking off.

1.) What will I end up spending on this deal? Is it totaly free or do they require items to be replaced during this process?

2.) What items do I want replaced while this is in the shop? (shocks, rear springs etc?)

The truck only has 50k and is a standard.....runs like a champ.:yay:

11. Apr 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Wow. Two complete opposite ends of the spectrum in one sentence. Hoooo Wee. Dis boy cray.

12. Apr 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    Nick82

Nick82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Richmond ky
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB MGM 4x4 sport tow nav
    ARB winch bumper
    My Tacoma is a 99 XCab power everything, V6, 5speed, rear diff lock, SR5, TRD, factory installed hitch (true tow package with oil cooler was not an option in 99), sliding rear window, primium sound, and added ARB front bumper. 240,000 miles and today I faxed Toyota the title in return for $12,000 and I took the bumper off. For that much I will use it on a down payment for a 2012 DCLB. I have no desire to keep that truck when they are offering a lot more then it's worth. Second once it fails if you ever want to sell it you have to disclose the failed inspection then good luck getting 1000 dollars for the truck. JMO being an owner of this elusive gem.

13. Apr 4, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    ric9

ric9 Member

Member:
    Totally free for the frame. I spoke with the "Toyota Truck Team" at the "Toyota customer experience" number (TTT calls you back after you call in to cust exp) and was told that other items they replace for free will vary depending on the current inspection. Some trucks have received free brake cables, lower control arms, leaf springs, fuel line but you need to check with the dealer who is doing the work. In addition they will recommend other items that you can get aftermarket elsewhere and the installation labor is free, for example, you can bring them some new shocks and they will probably install for free too. Recommend talking to the mechanic and Toyota about the whole process.

14. Apr 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM
    ric9

ric9 Member

Member:

Correction: I've edited my original post about the date of inspection info. Recently confirmed with Toyota. See above.

15. Apr 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    ric9

ric9 Member

Member:
    The buyback agent told me there was wiggle room earlier in the buyback program but this has changed and that the home office is very strict now about original equipment.

16. Apr 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    jodjr

jodjr Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma V6
    I'm now waiting for an answer from the Toyota rep. He sent the pictures that the dealership took to his boss.

I have a rust hole in my frame of my 2003 Tacoma...why the wait isn't this cut and dry?? The Toyota dealership did the inspection and found the hole.

Playing the waiting game for now.......

Thanks for the info Rick!!!

17. Apr 7, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    ric9

ric9 Member

Member:

As posted earlier, Toyota has set up a special team at the home office to determine exactly what is going to be done to each Tacoma. That team is looking at all the Tacomas that come in from all over. They decide what else they are going to replace for free along with the frame. The agent assigned to you is not on that team but is just a customer contact handling the individual paperwork. They are making arrangements to ship a new frame to your dealer, coordinating this with dealer repair scheduling, etc..

During this waiting period, I would be talking to the local mechanics about what they think needs replacing so there is more time to shop third party parts. Since the final decision on what to replace for free is made by the truck team and not the dealer, I would locate every single part that is suggested by the dealer mechanic and price them. Then you are a step ahead to get them the additional parts quickly at the best discount. Being prepared and making them wait less later could work in your favor.

Meanwhile call your agent and say you want to speak to a truck team member to discuss the details of the analysis etc. They will call you back. The one i talked to was friendly and gave me his personal number if i had any additional questions. I think it's a good idea to verify info between the truck team and the local dealer so you can know what to expect. Also, actually speaking to the person responsible for the decision makes a difference.

My experience is that Toyota is very open about this process. And even though this warranty extension is helping keep us as customers I think it goes deeper than that. I've heard that Japanese companies (at least those from the old school) are all about trying hard to save face and keep their honor. During my buyback process the local agent (third party) handling my case told me that he was also involved in buybacks from other mfrs (both domestic and foreign). Sad stories. People were reimbursed pennies on the dollar.

18. Apr 8, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    Messyt

Messyt Well-Known Member

Member:

Lol, besides the frame rust! But, nice observation ;). Seriously though, i now have a 2002 limited and it is NO WHERE NEAR AS AWESOME AS my 98! Whoever said the 01-04's are solid, they suck! Truck has 10,000 more miles than my previous taco, the thing has so many little problems i dont even know where to begin. For example. When you don't give it gas and are slowing, it's like there's a gas flow cut off effect that happens during idle stops, then when press the gas pedal a little bit, it kind of feels like the fuel flow clicks in and you begin to accelerate. No big deal but the 98 was so f-in smooth! I have horrible squeeks in the dash! Never had that f-n prob w my 98. The tape deck radios were way better than the cd player in dash. Why? There was that little shelf below it for your ipod. Nough said. Basically, i still like tacos but im really disappointed in the fact i had to give up my 98.

19. Apr 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    jodjr

jodjr Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma V6
    Great info...makes more sence to me now. Thanks Again!!

20. Apr 12, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    jodjr

jodjr Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma V6
    Ric your correct. My frame is going to be replaced. They want to take some pictures and info as to why the coating failed and how to make it better. I also have a 2012 Rav 4 to use free of charge until thr frame is replaced. Toyota rules in my book....

Products Discussed in

To Top