1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

in dash "rattling or slipping" sound in the morning Speedo cable?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bhh2000, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Jan 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    bhh2000

bhh2000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD 4X4
    ok so my 96 3.4 has been making a loud sound in the morning that comes from about right behind the left side of the cluster. it only happens when the truck is below about 40 degree's and is the loudest on mornings below freezing. once the truck warms up all the way, "I have been driving for about 15-20 minutes" it goes away it is accompanied by my speedo needle wiggling around in a 5MPH up or down, it jumps around whole time. then the noise stopes and it calms down back to normal. if I don't leave until the afternoon it never does it. any and all Ideas welcome!! I would love to get it fixed

my current idea is that the speedo cable needs some oil! how would I go about adding it? and where is the cable on this truck?

2. Jan 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    bhh2000

bhh2000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD 4X4
    bump!!!!! how do you oil the speedo cable??

3. Jan 16, 2012 at 10:23 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    That sure does sound like a speedo cable. I thought the 96 would have an electronic cluster in it, but I am no expert.

Never bothered to lube the noisy cable in my 86 when I had it. It made that noise for years and never went out. Not sure what you would use for lubing it, I would think squirting some engine oil into the cable housing from behind the dash would work. That way the gravity would take over and the oil should migrate down towards the transmission.

4. Jan 16, 2012 at 11:53 PM
    Hambone155

Hambone155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    Causing Butthurt is my job
    port and polish intake manifold, supercharger, pulley for charger, lifted, tires, deckplate, (doing full engine build)
    you have to pull the dash, pita! and hooking it up takes two ppl. use white lithium grease

Products Discussed in

To Top