1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where to buy red line the cheapest

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Hillingdoner, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Jan 23, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Been reading extensively on changing the gear fluids. Looking and buying synthetic oils for them.

Got GL5 synthetics for the front & rear diff and the transfer case. All 75w90 and cost me average of $9 a quart for Castrol synthetic and Mobil one synthetic. Now just need to find 3 quart of the gearbox oil.

Manual says GL4 75w90 and everything I find in the local stores is GL5 so far.

Seems most on the board are saying to use Amsoil or Red line. Amsoil seems to be an online order from them. The few suggestions I've seen on Redline is to go to Summit to get it. Amsoil online is coming out to $18.76 a quart for me and Red Line from Summit is coming out to $17.80 a quart.

Just wondered if there was any other source in which they could be had any cheaper per quart? Not worth the 6 month preferred customer on Amsoil just for 3 quarts as that is all I need to buy.

Any national chains carry the Red line (MT90 I think it was)? I'm in New Mexico so that might limit it too, but thought I'd ask.

Seems like with the number of people/Tacomas on this site they should be giving us a direct buy lol.

Anyway, any help appreciated. If there is a post that I missed on this while searching then first, sorry I missed it, second, could you pop a link on as happy to go read it.

PS Any NM ABQ/RR locals who know of a mom and pop even that has it at a good price please chime in.

Cheers

2. Jan 23, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    ailll1

ailll1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Québec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Trd Sport Double cab
    Gl-5 will do I think.
    This might help (96 model but should be really similar)96 Tacoma Specs.pdf

3. Jan 24, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    Hillingdoner

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Hmm, posted a reply and must have not clicked to actually post.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Must have changed in 1996. My owners manual for the 1995 says GL4 only. May be no difference. Guess I'd rather stick with the GL4 just to be sure. The Redline looks like the best bet for being able to get.

Just trying to save a few dollars if possible as every dollar saved is a dollar that can be spent somewhere else on the truck, lol.

Thanks again for the reply and help.

Cheers

4. Jan 24, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    I bought it online.

don't use GL5 in the trans, it eats the brass syncros.

5. Jan 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM
    Hillingdoner

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    That's what I've just been reading about the GL5. Thanks for the tip! Well, will have to see, but I came across the redline website and found where you can search for local dealers. Looks like a place in town has it. At least listed on their website. About $15 a quart so would be approx $16.00 all said and done. At least I'd save $1.80ish a quart so can handle that.
    Thanks for the posts!

6. Jan 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    PM me if you're interested in Amsoil... I have 6 months of the "preferred customer" membership that a dealer at home set me up with. I think anyone can order with my number ... Might as well cause he gets a kickback for it since he signed me up and you get wholesale price. I guess that goes for everyone else too... if ya need amsoil, hit me up.

7. Jan 27, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    Hillingdoner

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    Hi, Thanks for the offer! I may do that on maybe some oil perhaps as my wife is already picking up some gear oil from a redline local supplier we found through the redline site.

Thanks again for the help all. Nice to have such great people on a board!
    Cheers

8. Jan 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    Hillingdoner

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    Hi, Just thought I'd update especially for those in ABQ area. Got Redline MT90 GL4 oil at Desert Rat at $12.99 a quart. Got the last three they had on the shelf, but they have it in the warehouse for easy restock.

Thanks again all for your posts. Cheers

Products Discussed in

To Top