1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extended warranty..yes or no?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MainahWithaYota, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Feb 7, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    MainahWithaYota

MainahWithaYota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 DC v6 4x4
    Alright guys,
    Finishing up the paperwork on my first Taco....was suppose to be ready to pick up today, but the idiots at the bank screwed around all day and now he doesn't have time today for me to come in and sign the papers.

I partially screwed myself because I didn't just go to the dealership and do the financing...I went directly to my local bank thinking I would come out ahead.

That's all besides the point though...The truck is used, it's an 04 DC with only 81k on it but being used it only comes with the standard 30day/1k warranty. The financing institution is offering a 4year/48k warranty but at what I think is an outrageous price....$1,875! It supposedly covers all the major stuff...I haven't got the pamphlet yet on what it is suppose to cover..So I don't know what the terms are as far as who has to service it and what not...

My initial response is....screw that...almost $1,900? pfffffff I'll take my chances, I have a good mechanic that works on my stuff, charges me next to nothing for labor and is good at what he does. The only thing in the back of my mind is if something a little more serious goes wrong, it would be nice to be able to bring it to a Toyota dealer and have them diagnose and fix a problem, rather than the possibility of me and my mechanic friend throwing money and ideas at the thing.

What if I need a new engine? Transfer case? Transmission? Hmmm...

2. Feb 7, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    I put almost 8K miles in less than 7 weeks on my taco, after I got it in Dec 03 2011. Wanna know what went bad? NOTHING. Oh yeah it had 75K miles then...

I say save the money, this things are what dreams are made of. OTOH if it was a 2nd gen...

3. Feb 7, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Take the $1900.00 set it aside assumeing you have it, check and see what maintance has been done,( I logged on to the Toyota website put in my Vin # and pulled up all the service records that were preformed by Toyota ) have your mechanic go over the truck, take it back to the dealer to have issues repaired if any.Do the recomemded maintance in the future and see what happens.

4. Feb 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    MainahWithaYota

MainahWithaYota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 DC v6 4x4
    You guys reaffirmed my initial thoughts!

5. Feb 7, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    JSFoster75

JSFoster75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Bluff City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Too many to list.
    Definitely NO on the warranty, most are scams anyway even when offered by a dealer...

Products Discussed in

To Top