1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coolant leak on the back passenger side of engine

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by stucksucksnayota, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Feb 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Hey guys I got another question!

I have had a slow coolant leak (Small puddle after a couple days) for probably 6 months now and I have finally gotten enough time to start trying to figure out what is causing it and fix it!

So here are a few details I have gathered so far.

It is leaking from the back side of the engine on the passenger side. I googled this problem and looked here and TTORA for some answers, what I have come up with so far is possibly my freeze plug is leaking? Other ideas are maybe the water bypass plate is leaking, or the hoses that run into my heater block.

I went outside once I got a break from the rain and started investigating the leak. I can see the freeze plug from under the truck and it is wet under the plug, but this could be from oil because my valve cover have been leaking as well. Also in all the pictures I have seen with a leaking freeze plug the spot underneath it has been very rusty and nasty looking and mine does not look that bad.

My other thought is maybe its the head gasket, the truck does have 240k miles on it so maybe its leaking now?? But I always thought if your head gasket was blowing or leaking that you would have coolant in your oil is this not always true?

Sorry for the long post but this fix is going to take quiet a bit of wrenching so I'd like to get a few answers from everybody who might know and get a game plan together before i attack this thing!

Thanks!:D

2. Feb 15, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    John Cheong

John Cheong Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 PreRunner
    33" falken rocky mountian A/T, 3.5" fabtech lift, Deck plate mod, Painted badges.
    wipe down your engine in the places that you see leaks. if they re appear then investigate what fluid is leaking out. my guess is that its a old hose but id have to see for myself

3. Feb 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM
    JSFoster75

JSFoster75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Bluff City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Too many to list.

Advance Auto has a good Engine Degreaser that you can use to help clean the engine, that will help clean in cracks and crevices you can't easily get too.

4. Feb 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Good ideas!

I'll grab so degreaser tomorrow and see if I can get it cleaned off a little bit better and investigate further.

Products Discussed in

To Top