1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ATF Questions: Coloring, Dipstick Level, Lift

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Phisherman, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Feb 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    Phisherman

Phisherman [OP] Member

Member:
    2003 Prerunner Xcab V6

Getting ready to do a drain and fill on the truck. Bought 4 quarts type T-IV from dealership. Couple questions I've tried to find answer for.

1) Coloring. Take a look at attached pic. Left is new, right my current fluid, am I OK?

2) Dipstick level. When cold, truck hasn't been started in hours or overnight, fluid level on dipstick is well past HOT level, fairly high on stick. After 15 run, in park and/or neutral, idling nice, level is just above COLD. This all seem normal? What is proper way to check level? High level when cold didn't seem right...

3) When draining, do I need to lift the front end at all to get more fluid out?

Appreciate your help as always.

photo.jpg

2. Feb 16, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    When you drain the pan you only take out about 4 quarters maybe 5? There is still 6 or more quarts left in the lines and throughout the cooler and tranny. Your fluid looks fine. Did it smell burnt?

And to properly check fluid level the truck needs to be running, run it for 10+ minutes and run it through all the gears.

3. Feb 17, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Red Fluid looks OK to me, whats that brown fluid if that atf I would do a flush, I think adding clean fluid to old is a waste of money, that being said just check the fluid hot, drain it into a container measure what was drained out and put in exactly what was drained.

Products Discussed in

To Top