1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger!!! Help!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by hillinsan, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Mar 28, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    hillinsan

hillinsan [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Beavercreek,OR
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4wd TRD
    So Im not sure whats going on, ive made a few threads and still haven't found a definitive answer. engine light is on and its spitting out a knock sensor code. I took it to a Japanese auto repair and he did a basic tune up. He said the plugs were bad and misfiring will trigger a knock sensor. So i drove to work in slow trafic and it seemed fine. Later this evening I drove home and on the freeway the check engine light came back on. Im noticing a high pitched gurgling sound from my supercharger boost guage and when I hit the gas peddal harder I hear a gurgle or sputtering sound from under the hood and my truck doesnt want to shift correctly. "automatic tranny" Im thinking there is a problem with my supercharger. Ive been told if its going out there will be oil coming from the nose of the supercharger. I dont see any at all. Its strange how the sound is transfering through the air line to my supercharger guage. Can anyone help me trouble shoot this problem my truck its running like crap. I also notice when I was under the hood and i hit the throttle cable, the valve on my supercharger doesn't move at all. I watched a video online and a guy twisted the throttle and his supercharger valve opened and closed when he did this. Is my supercharger going bad or something else related to the supercharger?

2. Mar 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    fix the plugs yet? :rolleyes:

running premium gas like m3 said?

3. Mar 28, 2012 at 11:55 PM
    hillinsan

Member:
    Beavercreek,OR
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4wd TRD
    Yes i replaced the plugs and wires, it is not the gas its more extreme than bad gas. If you could only hear and feel what the truck is doing.. grrrr so frusterated.
    can u explain the sound transfering through my gauge?

4. Mar 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    drive in puddles recently?

5. Mar 29, 2012 at 7:15 AM
    ScienceofSpeed

ScienceofSpeed Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FFEJ
    Mesa, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01 double cab 4x4 trd limited
    grey wire mod, disable drl, diff breather relocation, transmission cooler, deckplate mod, powerslot rotors, hawk HPS brake pads, steel braided brake lines, NGK Iridium plugs & wires, TRD headers, snugtop camper, husky floormats, OME 881, OME HD leafs, OME nitro sport shocks, TRD supercharger, non-turbo supra injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump, URD 2.2 S/C pulley, AEM fic, One off all stainless 2 1/2 inch custom exhaust
    The valve is supposed to close/move under boost. Spray some lube on the the moving shaft of the valve and work it open and closed a bunch of times by hand. Then just blip/move the throttle at least 50% or more and you should see it move. This may or may not fix the problems your having, but its one thing to verify and cross off the list.

6. Mar 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    hillinsan

Member:
    Beavercreek,OR
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4wd TRD
    Science I did what you suggested and the valve isnt opening or moving at all. My truck is spitting a knock sensor code and running like shit. Thinking of putting a stock intake manifold and going from there. And yes It has super in it, just to clear that up.. And the mechanic did put iridium plugs in it

7. Mar 30, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    ScienceofSpeed

ScienceofSpeed Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FFEJ
    Mesa, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01 double cab 4x4 trd limited
    grey wire mod, disable drl, diff breather relocation, transmission cooler, deckplate mod, powerslot rotors, hawk HPS brake pads, steel braided brake lines, NGK Iridium plugs & wires, TRD headers, snugtop camper, husky floormats, OME 881, OME HD leafs, OME nitro sport shocks, TRD supercharger, non-turbo supra injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump, URD 2.2 S/C pulley, AEM fic, One off all stainless 2 1/2 inch custom exhaust
    Did the truck run fine before the tune up? Has it always ran like crap after the S/C install? As far as the valve goes, it's either bad or the vacuum/boost line going to it is incorrect.

8. Mar 30, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    hillinsan

Member:
    Beavercreek,OR
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4wd TRD
    I bought the truck last november so i could haul things and get my dirtbike around. The supercharger was already on it, the truck ran fine. I had to replace the suspension and I put a flowmaster muffler and tail pipe on. Then the engine light came on about 3 days after i noticed it running crappy. I hear a rattle or knocking sound from the s/c and i hear noise traveling through the air line to my psi s/c guage. Im taking it to toyota next week and if its the supercharger making it run crappy and spitting the knock sensor code then Im going to buy a stock intake and have it put on as I wont beable to send the s/c to magnuson for rebuild i need my truck its a daily driver.

9. Mar 30, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    Have the dealer bring it back to stock for you...when my nose drive went bad, I went the same route. Have never looked back and never really regretted it either. My honest opinion is that, for the cost of the S/C stock from TRD there is not nearly enough performance improvement...if you follow what Gadget has done...new headers, injectors, fuel pump, pulley, and a remap...then you have something. And also figure in the price of premium at $5/gallon.

Be aware, that there aren't alot of techs around at the dealers that know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to the S/C. The dealer that I had do my uninstall vehemently insisted there were NO replacement parts for the S/C and all you can do was replace the whole unit...lol

Then sell the S/C as a core...

10. Mar 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM
    hillinsan

Member:
    Beavercreek,OR
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4wd TRD
    Thats what I wanted to hear from someone. Was your truck running shitty when the nose went out?....

11. Mar 31, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    Yeah it was running horribly, would barely run, would stutter like a mother...and it happened pretty quickly, one day was running fine, the next day it was shot.

The life span of the factory S/C is not going to be much over 75K miles, the factory claims, 100K, but, everything I have read from owners, and my own experience is about 75K.

So take it out, and sell it, or have it rebuilt and reinstall it, but, my own personal opinion...to get the real performance out of it, you need all the additional mods suggested by URD.

12. Mar 31, 2012 at 6:57 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Someone likes commas a little too much... :devil:

13. Apr 11, 2012 at 11:45 PM
    hillinsan

Member:
    Beavercreek,OR
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4wd TRD
    what could I get for the supercharger $$$.. whats it worth if it needs rebuilt?

14. Apr 14, 2012 at 4:58 AM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    I sold my S/C as a core for $800...but I did include a new factory nose drive kit with it. You can google S/C rebuilds and see what the going rate is, then figure what a new S/C goes for and price it that way?

15. Mar 9, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Sandy, Utah
    Vehicle:
    08-200 00-100 89-74 87-61 72-40 66-45 & 65-Stout
    Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, any update on your knock issue? Your 'gurgling' noise sounds a bit like the issue I'm sorting out with my 04 SC'd Taco. What resolution did you come to?

Products Discussed in

To Top