Questions about '01 manual trans +
First post :D
I've got some questions and hope you all can help me out!
First of all I own a 2001 Tacoma Limited SR5 /w TRD package 3.4L V6 Manual Trans.
I want to change my transmission fluid, the 2.2 -2.3 qt change. I've searched for hours and couldn't really find a great post on the fill and drain plug locations on my transmission. So, I've attached some pics. The first pic (fill plug?) is from the drivers side and the second and third pics (drain plug?) are from the passenger side. Maybe some of you can shed some light on my situation.
Also, I had originally thought that my truck would have a trans dip stick but it doesn't so I believe changing the trans will be like changing fluids in my diffs. Right?
So, once I figure out about the plug situation I have other questions.
I got these crush washer numbers from a thread about a 2005 tacoma... was hoping it'd work for my 2001.
1. Are the crush washers for the tranny and transfer case plugs, part no: 90430-18008 x2?
2. Crush washer part no's: 12157-10010 and 90430-24003 for the front diff plugs?
3. Crush washers part no: 12157-10010 x2 for the rear diff plugs?
4. Can I use Red Line MT-90 for the trans and Red Line 75w90NS for the rest?
5. Is this fairly simple for a novice? I mean, I've read up on it and believe I understand everything.
Thanks, hope we can get some answers!
First... welcome to the site!
Your pics are correct. Fill plug on driver side about 1/2 way up the tranny. Drain plug on passenger side toward the bottom of the tranny. They both take a 24mm socket. Make sure you remove the fill plug first. You don't want to get stuck at home because you drained the fluid before you realize you can't open the fill plug. Torque both plugs to 27ft/lbs.
No dipstick. Fill until fluid comes out of the fill hole.
I always have my parts guy confirm part numbers with my VIN. I recommend you do the same. Here are my notes though:
1. Are the crush washers for the tranny and transfer case plugs, part no: 90430-18008 x2? Yes
2. Crush washer part no's: 12157-10010 and 90430-24003 for the front diff plugs? Yes
3. Crush washers part no: 12157-10010 x2 for the rear diff plugs? Yes
4. Can I use Red Line MT-90 for the trans and Red Line 75w90NS for the rest? Yes on the MT-90. Unsure about 75w90NS but based on what I just read it looks like it's a GL5 oil. Sounds okay to me but I'd wait for someone else to chime in with input. I personally used MT-90 in the tranny and transfer. Mobil 1 75w-90 GL5 in the diffs. It was $6.99 a quart at Autozone the other day!!
5. Is this fairly simple for a novice? I mean, I've read up on it and believe I understand everything. Yes, you can do it. A few recommendations: Get a hand pump from your local auto store. It's impossible to refill the front diff without it. The transmission fill hole is a bit hard to access also. All bolts are pretty easy to access with a standard 3/8" drive or 1/2" drive wrench. I use an extension for the transmission fill plug.
Here's a good writeup on changing all of these fluids. http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...ntenancep4.htm
I recommend looking up all the torque specs through the FSM. Good luck! Let us know if you need anything.
Thanks! You've settled my concerns about researching so much and getting nowhere hah. Looks like I'll be having fun in the next few weeks experimenting. I also read about the hand pump and fill plug before drain plugs. Thanks for the great advice!
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:01 PM.|