1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brand New with a 97 Tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Crackerjackshot, May 3, 2012.

1. May 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    Crackerjackshot

Crackerjackshot [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma
    Paint job, flowmaster
    Hey guy's, this is my first post on this site though I have read quite a few of the threads on here. I am not master mechanic by any means but am faced with a tough decision. 3 years ago I bought a 97 tacoma 4x4 and paid 2000 bucks for it with 172000 miles on it. Now she has 207000 and has had very minimal problems. One of the main questions I need answered before I decide to fix it up and keep it vs. buy another vehicle when she starts to go is if I can make the interior quieter and comfortable. What are some of the best/cheaper ways to do that? If I put the money towards the Taco Ill eventually be putting a 6 inch suspension on it, as big of tires that I can fit, changing the axle gears, supercharging it, getting grill guard/lights, new ignition systems and intakes, and general interior stuff. One thing I think about is the ability to buy a 2000 dollar replacement engine. I feel like I can keep her going forever with that option. Any input on the question or the entire situation is greatly appreciated. Here are some pics...

Oh, just finished the paint job I've always wanted to do.

012.jpg
    013.jpg
    014.jpg
    015.jpg

2. May 3, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    Crackerjackshot

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma
    Paint job, flowmaster
    Oh yeah, she has the 3.4 L V6. Not TRD even though it had the sticker on the back. She's a 5 spd.

3. May 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Seems conflicted to want it as quiet as possible (via cheapest method possible) and wanting to have the biggest tires on it as possible.

4. May 3, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Welcome to TW!

Nice truck, interesting choice in paint job..

5. May 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    Cvd2312

Cvd2312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR
    OME 885’s w/NitroCharger’s 3rd Gen Leaf Pack w/Icon Progressive AAL 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeak’s 17x9 Raceline Defender Wheels
    If you want it to keep going forever, keep it stock and don't do all that stuff to it.

6. May 3, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    Crackerjackshot

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma
    Paint job, flowmaster
    Yes it does. The only reason that I feel I need to quiet the inside is due to the fact that I already have AT Tires on it and get a fair amount of road noise. I wont go any more aggressive on the tread so I think I should be able to keep the noise the same. Cheapest possible is really just if I can, if I need to spend a little more I will. I am a hunter and a duck hunter at that, after school I fully intend to get back into hunting a lot during the winter and need something that might have to handle some marsh or other water type situations. The paint job is something I've always wanted to try on my truck after I did my own shotgun, it looks better in person. Oh, and trust me the previous paint job looked terrible.
    And NOT keeping it stock is the only reason that I would prolong the life anymore than it already will live. It's a great truck, but I might as well buy another if I'm just going to leave it like that. I've always wanted a tough, lifted 4x4. It's just a difference in what I want.

Products Discussed in

To Top