1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

looking for smooth ride stock height

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Panahead, May 7, 2012.

1. May 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    Panahead

Panahead [OP] Member

Member:
    Big sur
    Vehicle:
    00 taco, v/6,TRD,stick bf goodrich allterrain
    I could use some help with choosing a good shock... I have a 2000 taco ext. cab, trd package with the v/6 that is all stock.... 116,000 miles on it.... I am not looking to lift it... I live up a 3 mile dirt road that can be pretty rough at times... not a lot of washboard... just big ruts and potholes... I am trying to find the smoothest ride that I can.... I use the truck for town trips and don't tend to load it up to heavy... (I do have a steel lumber rack on it) I have been told that old man emu shocks is what I should get, the soft ones.... or bilsteins? rancho's? Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Josh

P.s. I am looking to smooth the ride for the dirt road... I don't mind the firm ride on the highway at all....in fact i like it... I have had the rancho shocks with the air compressor to adjust the shock settings on a 1977 chevy 3/4 ton 4whl drive but the mice would always chew the plastics air lines... Made it unusable... and i didn't notice a big difference... maybe it was the 1 ton suspension live axle front leaf springs?

2. May 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    acirco

acirco SEARCHER

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Reg. Cab, 2.7L4cyl., 5-spd, 4x4
    NONE
    I am doing the same thing. I have a 2000 Reg Cab, 4cyl, 5spd, 4x4: I think I have read every shock entry on TW and chose to go with the Bilstein 5100s front (set at "0") and 5125s rear. I am on back order for the fronts until late June but since I found my leaf springs are pretty shot so going to get new 4-pack leaf springs and a set of 880 coils to go with the Bilsteins and see how it goes. Dan at Wheelers off Road recommended this setup for me to retain a good ride, stock height, and level out the truck.

3. May 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    acirco

acirco SEARCHER

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Reg. Cab, 2.7L4cyl., 5-spd, 4x4
    NONE
    I am doing the same thing. I have a 2000 Reg Cab, 4cyl, 5spd, 4x4: I think I have read every shock entry on TW and chose to go with the Bilstein 5100s front (set at "0") and 5125s rear. I am on back order for the fronts until late June but since I found my leaf springs are pretty shot so going to get new 4-pack leaf springs and a set of 880 coils to go with the Bilsteins and see how it goes. Dan at Wheelers off Road recommended this setup for me to retain a good ride, stock height, and level out the truck.

4. May 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    WheelTired

WheelTired Well-Known Member

Member:
    Noth Colorado
    Vehicle:
    S-Runner
    ^ X3
    Email into dan @ Wheelers;

Our 2000 Tacoma TRD has its original Bilstein shocks, they are done big time. Truck has 75K miles;

Sounds like the 5100's are the way to go, not looking to lift the truck; might add a bumper at some point.

DSC_1477_b8368ed6a37f3030c0f53ae8587ec16f9ae7801b.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top