1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2003 Hood Latch, and losing my mind!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ugmold, May 12, 2012.

1. May 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    ugmold

ugmold [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi folks,

I've had a problem closing my hood for awhile now, suspected the cable, but it moves freely. I took off the big spring and all seems free, loosened up the nuts, but doesn't seem like you can adjust it. I put some grease on the "U" on the underside of the hood.

In the past I have cocked the spring open and close until I finally get it to shut, but I want to fix this before I go nuts!

Thanks,
    -ugmold

2. May 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    ugmold

Member:
    Let me add, when I pull the release the lever in the cab stays out, I have to "cock" the latch under the hood with a screwdriver I believe this is the position it should be in when I pull the lever, but I'm thinking the latch should step back to a position so that the U can latch.

Right now I got it to latch, but once again, it is guess work.

3. May 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    It sounds like the spring on the latch. Can you post a pic of the latch? Then I can match it to mine .

4. May 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    ugmold

Member:
    Oh geesh, that means I gotta open the hood again and 20 tries before it latches again....lol.:confused:

So hard to work on something you cannot see.

What do you think might be wrong with the spring? It os original as I am the original owner.

-ug

5. May 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    The spring could be broken or sagging due to age. Some latch or hook in the mechanism could be worn. Who knows? May be fewer hassles to just buy the whole hood latch assy for less than $20 at Rock Auto.

6. May 12, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    I have had the exact same problem with my '03 for years!!! I would actually slam the hood so hard I would bust the headlight bulbs. I tried lubing everything with no success.

I wish I had an answer for you, but, oddly enough, when I brought my truck in to the dealer for the frame replacement in January, it came back with my hood problem solved.

I have no clue what they did? They did not replace the whole latch mech, that's for sure. I guess the point I am making, is that there is a fix for this.

7. May 13, 2012 at 6:54 AM
    ugmold

Member:
    Seems like a new latch is the way to go. I was trying to pull the old one out for a better look. Top 3 bolts out and one down below. But it was also attached to a plastic piece that was part of the grill....could understand how to release it from that.

Anybody know?

Thanks all.
    -ugmold

8. May 13, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    X2 I have to agree. Thats what I would do!

9. May 14, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    ugmold

Member:
    I was looking at a latch on ebay and realized I think I am missing a spring, the smaller one that is used to retract the cable, I only remember seeing 2, and this one has 3, would make sense.

Of course locating a spring would be difficult, might as well buy the the whole deal, just thought I'd pass the info along.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5351052130-...=140585197559&ps=63&clkid=8412956679319232674

Also wondering how to disconnect the cable, looked kind of pressed in.

-Ugmold

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. May 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    I was in AutoZone the other day and noticed how many different springs they carry...might be worth a look to stop in at one of the major parts stores

11. May 14, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    ugmold

Member:
    Well, I just realized that one is for a Toyota Echo, but has the same part number. Rock Auto does not have a preview of what the latch looks like.

I have no problem buying a new one, for all I know there could be more damage to the part than a missing spring, if in fact it has one.

Thanks.

-ug

12. May 14, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    athit87

athit87 Member

Member:
    Try spraying some wd-40 on the latch and cable. Make sure you soak it wet. I've heard that this is what happens when you dont go ez on the hood when closing and let it slam shut on its own from a certain height. But yes, I had to replace mine thinking maybe it was the latch that had been somehow broken. After replacing it, the damn thing did the same thing. I was not about to buy another one so i just soak it wet with wd-40 and tada. It still does not close all the way sometimes but this is only when theres alot of dirt build up on the latch. I live in west texas so it gets pretty dirty most times. Everytime it didnt close correctly i just use wd-40 and it works. Give it a shot b4 u buy a new latch. Wish i knew this b4 buying the current one, as the current one is made of cheaper material. GL!!!

13. May 14, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    athit87

athit87 Member

Member:
    Ohh, one thing i forgot to add was make sure u spray the sh#$ out of the center bolt that holds the latch together. Thats where is often gets stuck. Im guessing when there is dirt build up there the latch that moves and locks the u bolt in place is having a hard time moving into place as you shut the hood. If there is no play in the cable and spring is intact it should work.

14. May 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    ugmold

Member:
    Thanks,

Mine is so wet with PB Blaster, Mystery Oil and Grease I'm surprised it hasn't drowned, thanks for the tip.

I ordered one up, now I'm skeptical....

-ug

15. Aug 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    ugmold

Member:
    Finally installed the new latch, works fine, was a little sticky after install, but has since, broken in.

For anybody doing this the Rock Auto source was great, price and delivery. Note there is a bolt, center, bottom that is covered by a plastic cap which needs to be pry'd off revealing the bolt, I didn't know what it was at first.

Thanks for the Help all.

-Ugmold

16. Jun 3, 2019 at 11:16 AM
    Rod in Forfar

Rod in Forfar Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Eastern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '02 2.7 reg. cab. 4X4
    You are lucky. I lubricated mine and two days ago it let go and tried to wrap around the cab of my TACO. So much for the windshield and hood. I guess now I know which part goes first on a Tacoma. The hood lock.

17. Jun 3, 2019 at 10:38 PM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    on the core support you will see the hood bumpers. It is here where you need to make an adjustment. They are "threaded" and by unscrewing them a little it makes the hood pop when you pull the cable, if they are out of adjustment the hood wont close or open correctly.

HoodBumpers.jpg

xguntherc and cruiserguy like this.
  18. Jun 3, 2019 at 10:53 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    Holy 7 year necro thread!

19. Jun 4, 2019 at 3:12 AM
    Rod in Forfar

Rod in Forfar Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Eastern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '02 2.7 reg. cab. 4X4
    The irony is that I spent two days last week opening the hood of our 2005 Lexus es330 after the cable rusted off. Then the Taco's wouldn't close, so I lubed the mechanism so that it worked smoothly. But it's fundamentally different than the bank vault lock on the Lexus. When I took the Tacoma lock off today and examined it, I found it's scary in its tendency to drop the spring while opening and closing. A new one is on order.

cruiserguy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top