1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

01-04 factory fender flares on 98?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by yellowfin, May 12, 2012.

1. May 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    yellowfin

yellowfin [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Boykin
    Mobile, AL
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4
    I'd like to start off by saying hello to all the members here this is my first post. I'm new to the tacoma world but a couple months ago I sold my Z71 and bought a 1998 tacoma 4x4 black limited ext cab, sunroof completly stock and absolutely love it!

my question is: it has the factory painted black limited fender flares on it but I'm thinking about buying a set of the stock sr5 ones off a 2001-04 from a member on here (you know the ones that fade out). Does anyone on here know if they will fit on my 98? I heard something about needing clips to install them? it looks like mine are screwed on there but I'm not sure. Would I be okay if he included the clips or screws? also are there some groments I need to try and locate too?

Any advice is greatly apprecitated!

2. May 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    ilove_taco_ma

ilove_taco_ma Well-Known Member

Member:
    fresno, california
    Vehicle:
    95 tacoma 4wd LX
    nothing, all stock expect got a OE replacement air filter K&N.
    welcome and glad you sold your z71. those trucks are great, but not as great as tacomas.

3. May 13, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    I doubt if the later model flares will fit, the clips on the later models my 04 for instance there are square hole in the panels for the blue and red clips to fit into, maybe take off one of your flares and see if the panels have additional square holes.

4. May 13, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    musicmaan

musicmaan Member

Member:
    Where the sun don't shine...... Literally
    not enough
    Yeah, they'll fit. I have them on my '98. All the mounting points in the inner fender are the same. If the rubbers are good, and you put pressure on them against your fender when you tighten up the inner fender screws, you will get a good seal. You could also put the two sided sticky 3M moulding tape on each of the upper mounting spots on the flares, and just stick them to the fender. I think I'll do that next time I pull them off.

MM

5. May 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    The clips don't matter at all...and when you take these off all the clips break anyhow.

There are a wide variety of clips available in both round and square from:

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Toyota_Lexus_Clips_And_Fasteners_s/13.htm

Just a matter of making sure the holes line up or making new holes...and using the round clips.

Products Discussed in

To Top