1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Big problems from starter and Taco.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by taco terror, May 14, 2012.

1. May 14, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    taco terror

taco terror [OP] 1st gen = best gen

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x
    First here are the specs: 3.4 V6, xtracab, 4WD, 1996, automatic, only 81,000 miles!

Problem: It began a couple months ago, the starter would sometimes click once and not crank over. You would have to turn back and forth until it cranked. Well today it cranked, but wouldn't stop cranking, even with the key out it still cranked. Then it starts getting even more weird. Pulling out from school I had it floored, but hardly any power. I was in a rush to get home and get the battery cables disconnected. The engine felt like it was putting out hardly any power, it was an effort to get up to 45 at first. While the starter was cranking the emergency brake light stayed on dimly.
    I live 10 miles away and after about 4 to 5 minutes of cranking, the starter quit. It seemed normal after it quit but the engine seemed to still be acting a little odd, nothing like it was though.

I need to know what is wrong, I was worried that i was going to lose it at only 81,000 miles.
    [​IMG] The loss if power from the engine, and the fact I might have tore up something are what worry me. The truck is sitting in the garage with the battery unhooked, I haven't tried to start it since. I know I am going to need a new starter now.

2. May 14, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    taco terror

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x
    I realize that I need a new starer, but what is with having no power? Is it something to do with too much drain on the battery? I need some help here please.

3. May 14, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    n0ms

n0ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1st gen i4 single cab 4x4
    Celica seats, Icon in rear and front with icon ucas, omd leaf springs, deckplate mod, lce header, Tundra brake swap.
    Might be electric or a sensor is dead/stuck.
    Start with getting a new/rebuilding your starter.

4. May 14, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    Rmesa1

Rmesa1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Power loss is due to the drag of the starter staying engaged with the engine running. Thats why it got better when the starter quit turning. Put in a new starter and you should be fine

5. May 14, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    taco terror

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    I will definitely have a new starter put in. I would also understand a minor loss in power, but it was pretty major for a little while. I had to really get down hard on the gas for some minor acceleration at first, worried me quite a bit, but I'll replace the starter and go from there.

In addition to the engine acting weird and the major loss in power, as long as the starter was running, the E-brake light stayed lit dimly. The light went off as soon as the stater quit cranking. Any clues for that one?

Thanks for the info!

6. May 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    I've always heard to just clean the contacts, ie sand and clean them up, then coat them liberally in di-electric. It's been my experience that starters in Toyotas rarely go bad.

However, after your starter-drag-race-of-death...it may be time for a new one.

7. May 14, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Replace the starter and we'll go from there. Don't worry to much, we got your back.

8. May 14, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    taco terror

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    LOL.

Thanks everyone!

Products Discussed in

To Top