1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine turns over, have spark but no start

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by shane2loco4u, May 15, 2012.

1. May 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    shane2loco4u

shane2loco4u [OP] Member

Member:
    Buffalo TX
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7L
    3" lift and tires
    Turned my truck off when I got home and went to start it after about 1 hour and all it will do is turn over (new battery) not even a sputter. I pulled a spark plug and have a good spark. Pulled the breather and sprayed starting fluid an it ran for a few seconds sounded good. Engine was running normal when parked it and gas tank is near full. Checked fuses under hood and in cab but nothing is blown. Check engine light is on and disconnecting the battery for any length of time will not shut it off, being miles from town I cant take it to autozone to check the code. Any suggestions? sounds like fuel to me but with modules, sensors, pump... dont know where to begin. Also cracked open a fuel line exit side of the filter and fuel seeps out. Thanks in advance for imput.

2. May 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    Did you turn the key on when you did this? It should spray out if the key is on and fuel pumping running.

3. May 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    shane2loco4u

shane2loco4u [OP] Member

Member:
    Buffalo TX
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7L
    3" lift and tires
    I turned the key on then turned the ignition over. There was no spray just wet fuel line (not a lot of fuel on the line). Will the pump kick on with the key on or does the engine need to be turning over.

4. May 15, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    When the key is on (no turning of engine), you should be able to hear your fuel pump whine. So, yes, the pump kicks on when the key is turned on.

Fuel has to be to the engine before it can turn over.

5. May 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    amain

amain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Anacortes, Washington USA
    Vehicle:
    07 SC TRD FJ - The Black Lemon
    Fender Cracks
    The fuel pump should spray fuel when the key is on. It uses a pressure regulator and continually recirculates fuel. Check for a bad fuse. You should hear the pump in the tank running when the key is on and when the fuel line is removed it should spray good.

6. May 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Purchase or borrow a code reader, so we all don't have to guess.

7. May 15, 2012 at 10:37 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    agreed, got mine on sale.

Anyways, I am guessing a fuel pump or fuse.

8. May 15, 2012 at 11:04 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    Fuel pump issue, might be a relay only. Check that way before ripping out the fuel pump. Good luck

9. May 17, 2012 at 3:43 AM
    shane2loco4u

shane2loco4u [OP] Member

Member:
    Buffalo TX
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7L
    3" lift and tires
    Thanks for all of the input. I'm going to try to find a code reader today. I did turn the key on and get close to the gas tank but heard nothing running. Having never purposely listened for the fuel pump I don't know how loud it should be. I double checked the fuses (under hood and in cab)and found them all to be good. Which relay would be the one to check and how do I check it. Thanks again

10. May 17, 2012 at 6:13 AM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    :) When you try to listen for your fuel pump, you may need someone to help you. When you first turn your key to start, your fuel pump will run only for 6 seconds and if it does not detect your engine running, it will turn off the pump. Someone needs to be in the cab and turn on the key as you listen by the tank. You may be able to hear it better by taking off your gas cap, it should not splash any gas up the tube. Good Luck.

11. May 17, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    Could it be the fuel filter? How many miles on this 96?

12. May 17, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    If you have someone turn the key to run, not crank, while you are under the hood you should hear the relay click on for a short period of time (5 or 6 seconds) then click off again when the engine does not crank within that period. Do it a couple times until you find the relay, if you don't ever hear the click, nothing is telling the fuel pump to run. The pump will sound like a dull buzz. If you hear the pump running, check other things like filter or regulator.

13. May 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    shane2loco4u

shane2loco4u [OP] Member

Member:
    Buffalo TX
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7L
    3" lift and tires
    Thanks for all the imput, traced the problem down to the plug going into the gas tank for the fuel pump. It was melted inside and shorted out.

Products Discussed in

To Top