1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How long do they last?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by summerboy1958, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Jun 1, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    summerboy1958

summerboy1958 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Newark, De
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4WD, Radiant Red
    Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch, Timbren Shock Assist System, Billy 5100's all around, Deck plate mod, AFE Pro Dry air filter, Amsoil 85W-90 Severe Gear Oil in the transmission/differentials/transfer case.
    I started this in the newby forum, but didn't get many comments. Thought I'd try it here:

[FONT=&quot]Hi all,

I'm not really new as I joined in 2009 when I bought my 01. I really liked it, but it was a bit of a compromise. I really needed 4 doors (for the dogs/kids), but couldn't afford one, so I went with the xtra cab, thinking I would figure something out for the dogs. Well, I got a new job in 2010 that kicked up my daily drive from 10 miles to 56 miles. With gas going up, I sold my Taco and bought a Forester for better gas mileage (27 vs 18).

Flash forward to today. A big raise, a nice bonus and a potential promotion may put me in a place where I can afford the gas. I really want to get a truck and don't want to have to "settle" for a Ranger. I use it for a daily driver, hauling firewood and would like to start surf fishing, so sand running.

Perusing the websites (Auto trader, etc), seems like every 4 door in my price range (~$12,000 or so) has in excess of 150,000 miles on it (I'm looking for a 1st gen 4 door, TRD, V6 or maybe a 05 4 door. I'd love a 5 speed, but I haven't found one yet). Many are in excess of 200,000! I have never bought a vehicle of any kind with that kind of miles on them. I know Toyota's reputation and have heard that Taco's "last forever", but I would really like to know what that means.

I will be driving about 15,000 miles a year, so 200,000 miles will roll around pretty quick when you start at +150,000. What wears out on Tacos? I saw one truck that claimed a "new transmission and rear differential" at 200,000 miles. That sounds pretty pricey. I put new shocks and tires on my 01, but really didn't other issues. Other ads claim "mostly highway miles", but that could also mean that it was driven at 80 mph. Ball joints? Transfer case? Drive shaft? Motor wears out?

Looking for a little truth in advertising. I am not a handy man around vehicles. I can do the simple stuff (oil, man trans fluid, etc), but can't do any complicated stuff. Am I fooling myself? Any and all comments are welcome.[/FONT]

2. Jun 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    depends on how well they are maintained

3. Jun 1, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  4. Jun 1, 2012 at 4:04 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    There's a guy here that has like 560k or something outrageous. You will get plenty of use out of a Taco. Just get one with a good frame.

Products Discussed in

To Top