1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to replace a starter in a 2000 prerunner 2.7L tacoma?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Apocojules21, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Jun 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    Apocojules21

Apocojules21 [OP] Member

Member:
    My taco is 2000 and has 188 K miles. It has problems starting "Click, Click". I have cleaned the terminal wires, they were dirty and it starting turning on again. But it lasted about a week and again "Click, click". The battery reads 12.9Vdc. I have had it all 12 years and probably needs a starter as I probably turned it on more than 15,000 times.

I'm sure that it probably needs a starter. Does anybody have instructions of how to replace it?

I read some people have ripped the transmission oil tube. Which I do not want to do.

Any help will be greatly appriciated since I have limited mechanical skills.

Thank you in advance.

2. Jun 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
  3. Jun 21, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Well if you have to replace the starter, its pretty easy, unbolt the wire harnesses that go to it and remove the bolts that hold it to the tranny. I believe their is 2 bolts to the transmission and 1 bolt for a wire harness? I can't remember. First time I changed it, it took me an hour. I didn't need to remove anything to get to it, maybe skid plate. But no oil tube.

4. Jun 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Disconnect the battery!!!

Once you've done that it should be a nut and bolt type situation. Just be mindful of the surrounding components and you shouldn't have issues damaging anything.

Another thing to consider is that a battery can read fully charged at 12.6V or more with no load on it, and then drop dramatically when you try to start the truck. Get someone to try and start the engine (make sure it's in park or neutral) while you check the voltage on the battery. If it drops below 11.5V or so, the battery is shot.

5. Jun 27, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    Apocojules21

Apocojules21 [OP] Member

Member:
    Thank you to all of you who respondes.

It appears the battery need replacement. Once I took the starter out, I bench tested and it was working fine. Apperatly the battey was not putting enough starting amps to the starter..

Thanks once again.

6. Jun 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Bench test doesn't mean much when dealing with worn contacts. There is no load on the starter motor and sometimes the contacts won't act up without a load.

7. Jun 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Before re-installing the starter, carefully pop off the solenoid end cap, and check the copper contacts. If they are really worn down, replace them. Cheap parts. Typically, when those contacts are worn down to paper thin, you'll get the 'click, click' when trying to start.

Products Discussed in

To Top