1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A few weird problems I'm having

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bobwilson1977, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Jun 26, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    Howdy all,
    I used to frequent this site a lot a few years ago. Life happened and I moved on. But I still have the same truck, a 96 Taco plain-jane reg cab with a 2.4 4 banger and 5 speed manual. It now has well over 250,000 miles.

Anyway, the truck has been making 2 strange noises and I thought I'd run this by some of you to see if there were some ideas as to what might be happening.

Problem 1: Squeaking sound when a depress the clutch. Actually this has been going on for YEARS. I've had the truck for almost 17 years and back when I was young a dumb I used to simply squirt WD-40 into the rear of the transmission bell housing and somehow that would stop the squeak for awhile. I now realize how stupid that was because I could have ruined the clutch plate that way. Two years ago I changed the clutch, used white lithium grease on the throwout bearing fork pivot joint and it was fine for about a year. Now it squeaks every time I depress the clutch. I have no idea what is causing this.

Problem 2: Another weird noise. If I've been driving for awhile and slow down to stop or something there is a strange 'groaning' sound. Its hard to describe. Its as if something is rubbing somewhere. Its coming from the front and almost sounds like its one of the wheels. I've looked under there and don't see anything obvious. I will disclose that I did change out the calipers and also one of the wheel bearings last year. But when I jack the front wheels up and give them a spin everything turns smooth and quietly.

Neither of these bother me a lot but they aren't going away either so I figure I should look into them.

2. Jun 26, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    milehighliving

milehighliving Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    03 Silver Xtra Cab 4x4
    2nd Gen SC, Addicted Front Bumper, Allpro rear bumper, OME Full suspension lift, LR UCAs, Extended brake lines, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 285/75/r16 with level 8 wheels.
  3. Jun 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    Interesting. So what does putting that new spring in there do? Remove some of the play in the pivot joint of the pedal? What if you just went up in there and squirted lubricant on the joint?

As far as the ball joints, yeah, I probably aught to have it inspected. They're original and the truck has been through a lot over the years off-road wise.

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top