1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power Steering Hose

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by garrettnb, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Oct 17, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    garrettnb

garrettnb [OP] Canadian Ambassador

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    00 TRD w/33s on a 4" lift
    I bought my truck with drop bracket lift in the front, and this caused for a little customization in the power steering lines. The very last piece of the high pressure line was curved, and then a custom hydraulic hose was placed between it and the piece it used to attach to as an extension.

The only problem is that now the original toyota fitting on the right of this http://i.imgur.com/8FFqu.jpg photo is now worn out and pisses out fluid to the point where I can't keep the system full for more than a minute.

I've tried to find someone to just make me a custom line with a 90 fitting on the end and the fitting I need on the other end but NOBODY is willing to make me a power steering line due to liability. Somebody else MUST have been in a similar situation.

I haven't been able to use my truck for 2 months for fear of ruining my power steering pump :( Please help!

2. Nov 24, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    bcomptaco

bcomptaco New Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma SR5
    6 inch lift, 33" bfg's, borla exhaust, arb front bumper
    Hi, I have the same problem did you happen to find a solution to your problem??

3. Nov 24, 2014 at 4:37 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    ok, dumb question here but why not replace the bad fitting for now from the guys on here selling parts trucks they strip and there must be a fitting adapter of different length hose (like from a tundra) to give you the slack you need.

4. Nov 24, 2014 at 5:42 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    If you are talking about the fitting that enters the steering rack, it's a flare fitting with a replaceable seat known as a "union seat". The seat is brass and usually wears out before the flare or gets lost altogether.
    The seats (2) can be seen in this pic of a disassembled rack control valve sitting inside the thin o-ring. Just something to check for.
    RACKTOOL0112_zps0616308f_f7a65b4424361b54a273aa667e57eb7b5b260d46.jpg

5. Nov 24, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    bry838

bry838 Well-Known Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    '00 tacoma 2.7 4x4 reg cab 5speed x's 2. '01 T4R 3.4 5 speed
    Let me guess you guys have fabtech kits don't you??...I have been down this road many times. I have literally changed this piece out five maybe six times!! Apperantky they finally updated the part its held for quite a while now....I always had the shop that installed the lift warranty the problem though. Otherwise I'd get ahold of the company and tell em what's up...

Whelp I see its you stated its your OEM connection that is giving you fits, so I guess I never had that issue. Mine was the aftermarket piece that have me fits!!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  6. Nov 24, 2014 at 7:54 PM
    bcomptaco

bcomptaco New Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma SR5
    The fitting I need is the fitting pictured in the first post, I wasn't aware the fitting was stock. It came on a piece of hose that seemed to be an extension that came with the lift kit. If the case is that the part is stock I would just go pick one up. Can someone confirm that the price is stock?

7. Nov 24, 2014 at 8:36 PM
    bry838

bry838 Well-Known Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    '00 tacoma 2.7 4x4 reg cab 5speed x's 2. '01 T4R 3.4 5 speed
    Ah I though the op posted it was his OEM fitting. But in your case as was mine you gotta go the the manufacturer and they should hook you up specially if its fabtech. Cause the part was updated so they knew there was a problem with it.

8. Nov 25, 2014 at 6:35 AM
    bcomptaco

bcomptaco New Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma SR5
    I am not sure if the pictured fitting is original or not, if the part is original with that bend on it I can just go get one from Toyota or an auto wreakers. I haven't been able to look on another persons taco yet. If anyone on here can confirm that this is an original fitting ease let me know. It is the last peice that screws into the stem on the rack.

9. Nov 25, 2014 at 8:50 PM
    garrettnb

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    bcomptaco; I've got the answers to your questions.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motor...16mm-1-5-i-f-pressure-adapter-for-toyota.html

This piece threads into the hole on the rack. Then you've got something a LOT more common on the rack. I have a tight 90 degree fitting attached to about a foot of flexible line connecting it to the other fitting (the stock location of the piece which was probably straight at one point). I also have a basic bracket on the other end of the hose which bolts to the tranny I believe to ensure nothing hits the U joint. To ensure that the fitting doesn't get messed up when the rack moves on the bushing I had to notch out an extra quarter in of the original metal. I'll try and take some photos tomorrow for you.

10. Nov 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    garrettnb

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    Oh, and unless something has changed, PSC doesn't ship to Canada directly via their website. I made up what I wanted to order - took a screen shot and emailed it to their sales team and the guy took care of it that way for me.

11. Nov 25, 2014 at 9:00 PM
    Bengland25

Bengland25 Never Forget! 343

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    You happen to have a picture of what you have on your setup with this fitting?

12. Nov 25, 2014 at 10:34 PM
    garrettnb

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    As I stated, I'll take some photos tomorrow in the daylight.

13. Nov 26, 2014 at 4:23 PM
    bcomptaco

bcomptaco New Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma SR5
    Man the more pictures you have the better!!! Thanks so much for responding I appreciate it greatly.

14. Nov 28, 2014 at 1:50 PM
    garrettnb

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    OK, so after a few days of rain I finally made it outside in some dry weather to take some photos. It turns out my setup was different than I had remembered correctly. It is still the same adapter as posted above, but it is a swivel 90 elbow attached to it instead of a 90 on the hydraulic line. This is because the hard 90 is a thinner piece and I did not need to remove as much metal to make it fit.

First photo - low pressure return in front of the high pressure line. You can see how the high pressure line is further forward and fits past the rail.

[​IMG]

The fitting from behind:

[​IMG]

Now this is the photo from above. You cannot see the adapter which sticks out of the rack as a male connection as the swivel 90 almost entirely engulfs the "nipple" which sticks out. Again you can see the "recess" that the fitting fits into. I had to remove about 1/4-3/8ths of an inch of metal here from the cut mark which would have been made when the drop bracket lift was installed.

[​IMG]

Last photo shows the entire setup. You can see the little bracket which is just a small 1/8th piece of steel with a bolt into a random hole onto the tranny. The other end is attached to the hose by simply passing the 2 ends through before tightening them together.

[​IMG]

I wheel my truck pretty hard, and this has held up extremely well. Having the swivel 90 there works as a failsafe as well. Instead of the rack shifting on the bushing causing the fitting to break it simply loosens it up, you'll be leaking fluid but it takes 30 seconds to reach under and get a 17mm spanner on it and tighten it back up. If you were wondering I've had this in place for close to 2 years now.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  15. Jan 23, 2015 at 3:06 PM
    jbf8607

jbf8607 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 tacoma
    Did you find the fitting, I am looking for the same one and having no luck

16. Jan 24, 2015 at 5:05 AM
    garrettnb

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    No, I did not. Read the previous posts to find out my solution to the problem. It has been working fine now.

17. Jul 26, 2016 at 1:44 PM
    Paula1177

Paula1177 I love my Tacoma!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paula
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 Tacoma SR5
    Lift, TRD
    I know the part you are looking for. It took me 3 months to track it down. Are you still looking for it? I assuming it has male and female ends the metal piece between looks like an S or Z. I had to pay about $200 today for it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top