1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

power steering fluid leak

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bill-e-boy, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Nov 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    bill-e-boy

bill-e-boy [OP] new and improved

Member:
    First Name:
    billy
    florence
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab lifted pre-Runner
    added factory roof rack, factory skid plate, removed cheesy running boards, built a pvc bike rack, added interior floor lighting, added decal plate under rear window, added sylvania silverstars, installed toytec ultimate 3" lift, added hella optilux yellow fog lights, added orange park lights to the turn signals, new 265/75/16 goodyear duratracs tires and raceline rockcrusher 16" wheels
    hey guys....question, it looks like i have a fluid leak on my 2004 v6 DC pre-runner...there two lines that connect to the steering linkage near the left front tire. One hose has compression clamps?....the other has spring clamps, this one with spring clamps is leaking, as if it has a pin hole crack in it....should i buy this part from the dealership or buy it from advanced auto parts?....any tips on changing/swapping it out?.....or just do it fast to avoid loosing the power steering fluid....thanks guys

2. Nov 4, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    Sittingbull2

Sittingbull2 Old N.R.A. Hippy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Southeast texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab SR5 White
    3" Body lift, ARB Front Bumper w/9000 lb. Warn Winch, Chevy Alum. Rims w/ Kelly 285's M/S
    Well I just changed my old rack and pinion out cause it was leaking like a fawcett and the inner tierod ends were bad on it. So what your talking about is it leaking from the hose on the one that has a spring clamp or were it goes into the rack? maybe try putting a hose clamp on it the kind you have to use a screw driver to tighten it up and if its were it screws into the rack maybe try tighten that up with a wrench see if that helps out before going and buying a hose and all that stuff. simple things first thats free is what I try and do first. Hope that helps you out

Sittingbull2

3. Nov 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Eventually that line (the one with spring clamps is the low pressure line, BTW) starts to crack and weep, usually where it meets the steel tubing on the rack. The one on my old '04 started to leak. I got the Toyota part (it was $10, I think - not cheap for a chunk of tube, but I didn't have to guess at ID/OD sizing).

To install I did it the easy+messy way. First, clamp it shut in the middle with a pair of vice grips.

Jack up the front of the truck so both front wheels clear the ground.

Then remove the spring clamp and hose from the rack side. Put your new hose and spring clamp on.

Next, remove the spring clamp from the high end. Put your 2nd spring clamp down on the new tube.

Quickly pull the old tube off and put the new tube on, then expand the 2nd spring clamp with a pair of needlenose pliers and shimmy it into place.

Clean up spilled fluid.

Bleed the air out of the PS system. (FSM describes this, it's why you have the front end up in the air a bit).

Done.

4. Nov 11, 2012 at 4:53 AM
    186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.
    Hey Sittingbull2
    Once a week I fill up on steering fluid and check the gas. I don't see any hoses leaking. I'm going to clean up the rack this weekend, weather permitting, and try to locate the source more accurately.
    How much did your new rack cost? Did you do it yourself or go to a mechanic?

Thanks

5. Nov 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    Sittingbull2

Sittingbull2 Old N.R.A. Hippy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Southeast texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab SR5 White
    3" Body lift, ARB Front Bumper w/9000 lb. Warn Winch, Chevy Alum. Rims w/ Kelly 285's M/S
    Put it this way I am a parapeligic in a wheelchair. I do all of my wrenching on my vehicles it may take me longer to get it done especially if i forget a tool in my tool box and I have to climb out from under it then get in my chair then get the tool then get back out of it and get at it again. If I can do it you can do it. Rack cost me $263 and I got to keep my old Rack so I can rebuild it myself. While I had it down I also put Bilstein struts on the front. Did that myself also. Bought some coil spring strut compressor and knocked them out also.
    1. Get new rack first then get a tierod end /pitman arm puller. Buy or rent it ain't but about $23 for it.
    2. block back wheels from rolling, jack frontend up.
    3.pop wheels off
    4.tie off steering wheel so it won't turn on you
    5.pop off the outer tierods from each side of vehicle
    6. take off your swaybar it sure helps alot
    7. underneath the truck were your steering shaft connects to the Rack undo that.
    8. then start taking loose the bolts that hold the rack to your frame this is where some people have put those steering bushing kits in
    9. once rack is loose from the frame you have 2 powersteering hoses that go to your rack I believe they are a 17mm I just used a open end wrench on them pushed pretty hard and they broke loose kinda of a tight place but it was doable get a drain pan and some quick dry cause some of the fluid is going on the floor can't help it.
    10. turn engine over by hand and pump the rest out of the pump
    11.I put new outer tierod ends on first. Count the old tierod end threads to the nut and do the same for the new tierod ends it will get you close to what it was originally I also put some neverseize on the threads. You still have to have a front end alignment. I then put the part the steering shaft connects to the rack on while it was on the ground then slid it under the truck
    12. I put the tierod ends in the spindle first on both sides so it kinda helped me hold it up also it might help if you use a rope or a tiedown strap to help hold the rack up while you put the powersteering lines back on cause you have to kinda have it where you can move it alittle.Tighten up lines good then put the bolts back in the rack that hold it to the frame.
    13. Then tightened down the Tierod castle nuts and don't forget to put the cotterpin in and bend it.
    14. put the swaybar back in and tighten the bolts up.
    15. pour in some Dextron II or III ATF and turn the wheel back and forth a few times check oil an add as needed.
    16. Crank engine turn steeringwheel back and forth a few times and check level of oil add as needed.
    Thats about it
    If you want some numbers from where I got my Rack from just mention it and I will give it to you.
    If i can do it out of a wheelchair you can do it.:cool:

Sittingbull2

Products Discussed in

To Top