1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power Steering Gremlins

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by AlphaEcho2k5, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Jan 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    I've had the worst of luck in the almost 2 years I've owned this truck. The Power Steering has been a complete nightmare/headache. I've rebuilt the stock pump, then purchased two pumps after that. I've installed a cooler thinking the fluid was overheating thus making the seals leak. I've just recently purchased a new union bolt and washers because it seemed to be leaking from the high pressure side of the pump. I noticed it still seems to seep and fluid is all over the underside of the hood and has started to leak through the passenger fender well. This is not a b!tch post and I WANT to make this work; however my patience is running low at this point. I really don't want to drop $$$ on an aftermarket setup but it may be cheaper than continuing to buy pumps every 4-6 months. I've used Mobil 1 as well as Valvoline Synthetic transmission fluid in the system. I know diagnosing issues over the net is near impossible but just looking for something I've either overlooked or have failed to see on the net. Thanks TW.

2. Jan 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    Dcpsychobilly

Dcpsychobilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab Taco
    Bumpers, skids, lights and more lights, trail gear bumper, sliders, front kings, dakar lift leaf springs rear, corbeau seats
    :notsure: bump to find an answer

3. Jan 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Are the Valvoline and M1 fluids compatible with the Tacoma power steering system? The Tacoma calls for ATF (Dex II/II), not PS fluid.

I also had problems on my '04 spewing fluid once I put on bigger tires and front armor. The fluid would overheat. Eventually the seals on the rack started to go, along with some of the rubber lines on the low pressure side.

Can you get the truck good and warm and have someone run the wheel back and forth while you look under the hood and try to find the source of the spew? Some leak tracer dye might help with that, too, if you can see a fine mist coming from somewhere while the system is pressurized.

Other than that, I'm at a loss, save that you don't indicate that you have changed out the rack.

4. Jan 11, 2013 at 7:03 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    Both fluids I've tried are both compatible. It's funny, doesn't seem like it wants to leak until I close the hood and drive on the road for a bit. It appears to be leaking on the underside of the pump. I don't have any leaks around my rack, it seems to be right at the pump. I'll let it warm up and see if that helps in detecting the location of the leak. Thank you.

5. Jan 11, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    Joels98taco

Joels98taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joel
    chino hills
    Vehicle:
    98 5 lug tacoma
    fabtech 3" spindles, icon aal, 10" bilstein 7100 rear shocks, daystar coil spacers, AFE Pro Dry-s drop in filter, sony head unit, 2 12" pioneer subs, pioneer 6.5s all around, custom 1.25 lift shackles, custom lower ball joint brackets fabbed by me
    buy an aftermaket pump with a lifetime warranty?

6. Jan 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner

I'm leaning towards PSC. I'll look up the warranty info.

7. Jan 11, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    Joels98taco

Joels98taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joel
    chino hills
    Vehicle:
    98 5 lug tacoma
    fabtech 3" spindles, icon aal, 10" bilstein 7100 rear shocks, daystar coil spacers, AFE Pro Dry-s drop in filter, sony head unit, 2 12" pioneer subs, pioneer 6.5s all around, custom 1.25 lift shackles, custom lower ball joint brackets fabbed by me
    ^ that might be a thought think they use them on crawlers right? sorry for the double ? edited

Products Discussed in

To Top