1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Modding a New Toyota

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SnareAce, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Feb 13, 2009 at 11:04 PM
    SnareAce

SnareAce [OP] Member

Member:
    Texarkana, Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner SR5 4x4 Single Cab
    Hey guys, I'm about to purchase a new truck. It's going to be a 2004 Tacoma, Single Cab, 4WD SR5. I'm looking to do a few things to it and I need any kind of advice that's available. I'm not really what you would call knowledgeable but I can grasp it.

The first thing I plan on doing will be putting a roll bar on it with, more than likely, cheap, off-brand flood lights on the top. Mainly because my reasons for this are more aesthetic than anything else although I'm sure I'll use them. My plan is to go to A1, a car salvage yard, and see if I can find a roll bar that will fit it. I don't know how good of an idea that is, but like I said, I just want it to look good, really.

At A1, I'm also going to be on the lookout for a sturdy bumper guard. This might be harder to come by but any help on this would be nice.

As far as long term modding, I'm thinking I want to go with a 3" Suspension lift combined with 6" body. Good idea? Bad idea? You guys are far more educated than me with this stuff.

Basically I'm a beginner that has SOMEWHAT of an idea but no real experience or expertise so any help would much appreciated. I want this truck to be my pride and joy! :)

2. Feb 13, 2009 at 11:28 PM
    6shooter

6shooter Well-Known Member

Member:
    portland, or
    Vehicle:
    06 sport........
    plenty.......
    firstly, in my opinion-adding a rollbar for aesthetic reasons would have been something that you did when back to the future came out-but that's just me, and my opinion aside;
    i doubt you'll be finding a tacoma roll bar or bumper guard in a junk yard at all, let alone in good condition. i could be wrong, but i just don't see it happening.

as far as you lift, i'm hoping you just accidentally swapped the words body and suspension..? a 6" suspension lift and 3" body lift is doable, but not the other way around. although, if you really did do a 6" body lift-PLEASE post pictures!

good luck.

3. Feb 14, 2009 at 12:13 AM
    firefightermdc

firefightermdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    el paso, tx
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5 4x4 TRD
    haha, i would love to see that..biggest i've seen is a homemade 4inch on a ford..looks horrible. anyways...i kinda think this whole post is a joke...i mean 6in body lift w/ a rollbar? i'm with 6shooter on the whole back to the future thing..put the 6in body lift, a helluva rollbar (chrome, three to four tubes) and a flux capacitor and you're set!

4. Feb 14, 2009 at 12:16 AM
    TRD4x4858

TRD4x4858 Taco Traitor!

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    95 Jeep XJ
    BONE STOCK! lol
    any roll bar from 84 to 04 will fit, I say no to the body lift at most go 2 inch body lift and 3 inch suspension

5. Feb 22, 2009 at 12:59 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    I first fell in love with Toyta trucks when I saw the "Back to the Future" truck. I built my first Toy to look just like it. Installed a roll bar, push bar, lift, rims/tires, and even painted it black. I also bought my first truck when I was 15 in 1995...

6. Nov 9, 2009 at 10:06 PM
    Canuckoma

Canuckoma Cunuckoma 98 - 425,000 Miles

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 425,000 miles
    Delo 400 Syn, Plywood Box Sides
    I just got my fix by installing a nice chrome rollbar in my 1998 Tacoma. Always wanted one, can't weight to see what it's like when I flip on the 6" Daylighters!

7. Nov 10, 2009 at 5:27 AM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    SnareAce, your description says you have a PreRunner 4x4. Since those two are contradictory, which one do you have, PreRunner or 4x4?

8. Nov 10, 2009 at 5:34 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    seeing as how he hasnt been active since feb...i doubt he's gonna answer

9. Nov 10, 2009 at 5:36 AM
    RattleTractor

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    ahhh yes...didnt notice that. Thanks for enlightening me.

That makes the Canuk the ancient thread bumper....damn

10. Nov 10, 2009 at 10:10 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!

LOL... I just noticed that too.....

11. Nov 10, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    I hate the shit out of roll bars. Light bars are cool. Roll bars always remind me of the 1970's and 80's trucks when they were a big fad.

12. Nov 10, 2009 at 10:18 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Nice old thread.

Anyway, my only contribution is that people please start referring to it as a "show bar" or "light bar" rather roll bar as it'll do nothing in the event of a rollover. Roll bars provide safety. The thin-wall tubing used on the show bars will provide no protection.

13. Nov 10, 2009 at 10:21 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    No matter what they are called, they suck!

14. Nov 10, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Thread title also says modding a new toyota. It's 2009, 2004 isn't new, maybe new to OP but not new new. How bout modding my new 1st gen?

15. Nov 10, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    Mine is a 2000 prerunner 4x4 SR5 2.7 V6 Automatic 5 speed TRD Limited Base Extended regular cab AWD with the submarine option so I can go offroading underwater....

16. Nov 10, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Semantics that could lead to safety issues. True roll bars are functional and necessary in many cases. I don't want someone to search through old threads, find this one, get the wrong idea, and end up injured or dead because he thought he was running a roll bar.

17. Nov 10, 2009 at 1:00 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    I know what you mean. A friend of mine got one for an old 4x4 mail jeep. He had it welded to the frame and all, but it was thin crappy tubing. i told him if he went wheeling, I was going in my Dakota back then, no way was I going in that death trap. i never liked those show bars.

18. Nov 10, 2009 at 1:34 PM
    RattleTractor

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    Hahaha why is this thread still going....

The ancient thread bumper struck again, but it's essentially about nothing now because the original question is no longer moot. Funny

19. Nov 10, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    I just go with the flow....LOL.

20. Nov 10, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    RattleTractor

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    indeed. as did I....until tigerfan informed me of the date of the thread hahah

Products Discussed in

To Top