1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another one headed to scrap

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Widespread Panic, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Apr 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    Widespread Panic

Widespread Panic [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darin
    Fla
    Vehicle:
    04 V6 4X4 Xtra cab TRD
    Bronze clutch pedal bushing,
    Short story- Frame failed, I don't care for the shop manager at the local dealership, I am now looking for a replacement 1st gen.

Long story-
    Found out about the frame rust warranty extension/buy back/replacement on here while searching for suspension upgrades recently. Don't think they sent out letters in Florida, or I might have bought mine as the letters were being sent. I have a 1999 xtra cab, 5spd, v6, 4x4, bought in 2008 in NY and delivered to Fla.

Stopped by the dealership today just to see if they had done many inspections. Wasn't expecting to have it inspected because I have read the policy and understood that I needed to call Toyota and get a case number. The shop manager laughed when I told him I would get a case number and make an appointment to have it inspected. He explained that they had inspected thousands and only failed 1. They pulled it over the bay, tech took about a minute to determine it was shot, then took him 5 minutes to explain to the manager it was shot. I think he finally got his point across with "Dude, I stuck my F'ing finger throught the frame"

What really supprised me was, they sent me on my way with a "we'll get back to you in a week or so, and probably set up to replace the frame." After leaving there I called Toyota, got a case number, and now waiting on a call back from them. Going to suggest another dealership, maybe the one my wife got her Landcruiser from.

Now I get to start the search again for the perfect 1st gen for me. The great thing is I found this place, so the next one will be getting modded from the start.

2. Apr 1, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    jdkilroy

jdkilroy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '02 4x4 SR5 Access Cab
    I guess I missed something... why are you looking for a new truck?

They failed your frame; they told you they would get back to you... why not just wait and see what they have in mind. If they agree to a frame replacement then you're set.

Problem is; you would likely want to have it done at a shop where they have been doing them and have a system down.

I was not aware that you could access the frame warranty if vehicle was registered in a non-listed state. (the listed states are the high salt-use states)

I think Toyota is trying to do right for Tacoma owners who have been affected by this rust issue. I would want a brand new frame if I had the option.... You also need to have them check the spare tire carrier as they are replacing those now due to rust and spares falling off as a result.

3. Apr 2, 2013 at 4:27 AM
    Widespread Panic

Member:
    First Name:
    Darin
    Fla
    Vehicle:
    04 V6 4X4 Xtra cab TRD
    I agree Toyota is doing the right thing, maybe a little above and beyond what they need to do. I have no problem with Toyota, in fact if needed I will buy another.
    I have started looking for a newer truck because I have not read any stories on frame replacements on 1995-2000, the replacement option seemed more for the 2000-2004.
    Either way I may use this as an excuse to buy a slightly newer truck with less miles. As stated above the key to a frame replacement would be getting it done at a shop with expierence, I don't think I will be able to find it in Florida.

4. Apr 2, 2013 at 4:33 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Yeah I was only aware of frames being replaced on 2001-2004 models. I thought 2000 and older were being bought back and crushed.

5. May 1, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    Widespread Panic

Member:
    First Name:
    Darin
    Fla
    Vehicle:
    04 V6 4X4 Xtra cab TRD
    A follow up on this one- Bought my 99 in 08 for $6,750 with 164xxx miles, got a check today for $13,700 with 185xxx miles.
    I started looking for a replacement as soon as I learned it had a bad frame. Picked up a 2004 Xrta cab, V6, 4x4, TRD with 43xxx miles for $11,800.
    Now the modding starts.

6. May 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    Well that worked out pretty well:cool:. That's a great deal for a low mileage 1st gen. Around here, something like that would go for $14-16k.

Products Discussed in

To Top