1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with strange noise

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by angieford86, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Apr 7, 2013 at 3:55 AM
    angieford86

angieford86 [OP] Member

Member:
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Okay so I posted a question a while back about a weird noise. I have taken it to two different mechanics. Both thought it was the steering rack. I had that replaced as well as the bushings for it. The noise is still there. It is really hard to describe how it sounds....duh duh duh duh duh duh. It seems like it is coming from the driver side but I could be wrong. My truck still seems to not ride as she should. I feel a lot of pull like I am chasing the steering wheel. I know I need new shocks/struts and my suspension could be fixed as well. My truck was used and abused from a previous owner. This noise is driving me crazy. I hear it the most when I am on a smooth road and going straight. I hear it both when I have my foot on the gas as well as when I am just coasting with my foot of the gas. I guess I am wondering if shocks/struts make noise when they are bad? or what else could it be? any ideas?

2. Apr 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    Aught2TaCO

Aught2TaCO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    '02 Taco TRD, aka Pearly
    Billie 5100's, new leafs, Falken WILDPEAK A/T 3W, 265/75/16E
    Have you checked the wheel bearings for wear or bluing?

3. Apr 7, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Defective tire ? Try rotating them.
    Sticking brake caliper?

4. Apr 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    angieford86

angieford86 [OP] Member

Member:
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    I wish it was just the tire, i have also had a tie rod end replaced on that same side. I had a full inspection done and they said my wheel bearings were fine as well as the ball joints which was another thing I am maybe thinking it is. I just do not want to fix things i don't need to fix but I am getting really annoyed with the noise.

5. Apr 7, 2013 at 9:47 PM
    Aught2TaCO

Aught2TaCO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    '02 Taco TRD, aka Pearly
    Billie 5100's, new leafs, Falken WILDPEAK A/T 3W, 265/75/16E
    OK, here's what I got... In your first post you said you need shocks/suspension work, but now a full inspection was performed and all is good. Finding a better mechanic would be my first move.

EDIT: If you want to test your shocks, "bounce" each corner of the truck to get the shock working, then stop when you got it going pretty good. If it bounces more than two times by itself, then there's a good chance you need shocks. Also listen for any noise, and look for oil leaking from the shocks themselves.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  6. Apr 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Start a new thread, don't hijack this one :mad:

7. Apr 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    Sittingbull2

Sittingbull2 Old N.R.A. Hippy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Southeast texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab SR5 White
    3" Body lift, ARB Front Bumper w/9000 lb. Warn Winch, Chevy Alum. Rims w/ Kelly 285's M/S
    To find out if your balljoints are bad jack your truck up under the lower control arm. Only about 1/2" to 1" high just enough to put a flatbar or big prybar under the tire if it (tire) moves up which you will be able to tell if there is slack in the balljoint. Then thats probably it but could be just part of it. It also could be your front struts/shocks also combined with the balljoint causing that noise. There is also a part on your steering wheel column under the dash that has a bolt that wears out and causes these noise's also. Just my .02 cents

Sittingbull2

8. Apr 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    angieford86

angieford86 [OP] Member

Member:
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    How do you check the steering column?

9. Apr 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    How about some audio for the duhduhduhduhduh you describe ??:)

10. Apr 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    strangeland

strangeland Member

Member:
    baffin island
    Vehicle:
    her name is yoru 4x4 2.7l
    is there a vibration along with the sound? i agree with the previous post on the tire issue. a tire that threw a 1.25 oz weight will buck like a bronco and make a noise like you described. have a look at the wheel weights (or lack there of) to see if theres any evidence of one getting tossed off.

11. Apr 25, 2013 at 8:48 PM
    angieford86

angieford86 [OP] Member

Member:
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    took a recording on my phone today, had to do a video and the sound isn't great but if you listen you will hear it. i will upload it soon. i had to take about 5 videos before I could hear it in the video.

12. Apr 25, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    angieford86

angieford86 [OP] Member

Member:
    Cotati, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    how do you upload a video?

13. Apr 25, 2013 at 9:50 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

You have a you tube account ?? If so its simple, go to your you tube channel/page & right click on the video you want to post & you'll see some options, left click on option "copy embedded (something something) at current time" After you do that come back here & in your next post just go anywhere in the frame , right click again & you'll see a "paste" option, left click on it & your done... very easy . except these clowns around here let me stumble around for about a year before I figured it out haha..:)

Products Discussed in

To Top