1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

occasional stumbling at startup

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bunkerboy, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Apr 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    bunkerboy

bunkerboy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prerunner
    Two or three times lately, my truck has run really rough when I start it, like a cylinder or maybe even two was out. I'm able to get it right just by revving the engine some, but if it happens more in the future I'd like to know what to look for.

Could it be a coil maybe? I was thinking plugs/wires at first (they're old and I need to change them anyway) but now that I think about it I'm not sure.

The truck has a butt load of miles, about 290K.

2. Apr 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    outdoorames

outdoorames Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Toytech Ultimate Lift (set at 3"), OME Dakar leafs, 265/75/16 DuraTracks, Deck Plate Mod, UltraGauge, Kenwood head unit
  3. Apr 10, 2013 at 6:02 AM
    Mossy

Mossy Mechanic for Honda

Member:
    First Name:
    billy
    san antonio, TX
    ProComp lift Borla exhaust Borla air filter Nfab bars
    Possible to have a head gasket on its way out. Could be coolant bleeding off in the in combustion chamber after sitting awhile. Will clear up after a few minutes of the engine running. Keep a eye on your coolant

4. Apr 10, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Its way overdue anyway. Plugs, wires, air filter, pcv, etc.
    If your problem is still there, then troubleshoot further.

5. Apr 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM
    bunkerboy

bunkerboy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prerunner

Funny thing, I noticed last week my coolant was low. Can you elaborate on this a little?

6. Apr 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    mdub

mdub Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black DBLC TRD Off-Road
    ARE CX
    If you do have a bad head gasket, you may see a change in color in your coolant and may even notice visible traces of the oil in your coolant. You can also smell it in the exhaust as it will have a sweet aroma. Top up your coolant, keep an eye on it, and an eye on your temp guage. If you see a spike in your temp guage, stop driving immediately. If you do have a bad head gasket, they'll take off the top end, put in a new gasket and check the head to make sure it is flat and hasn't warped.

I'd start with a new air filter, and plugs, see if that helps. Start cheap before you get into big ticket items.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  7. Apr 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    mdub

mdub Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black DBLC TRD Off-Road
    ARE CX
    One more tip/trick when you are replacing the spark plugs. When at the auto parts store, get a length of hose about 10" long or so that will fit over the head of the spark plug, where the wire attaches. When you back out the plug, your deep socket might not hold the plug and then you'll be cursing about how to get it out. If that happens take the hose and push it down on top of the plug to remove. When you put the plugs back in, you want to make sure you don't crossthread the head. So, put the plug on the end of the hose and use that to hand thread the sparkplug before you go at it again with your socket wrench.

like this.... http://www.filtsai.com/accord/spark_plugs/remove_plug_hose.jpg

8. Apr 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    OR, you could purchase a spark plug socket (of the right size) that 'grabs' on to the plug just enough. ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top