Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen. Tacomas (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/)
-   -   Driver side outer door handle broken! (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/273506-driver-side-outer-door-handle-broken.html)

oddman4 04-16-2013 03:38 PM

Driver side outer door handle broken!

hey TW anybody have a spare outer driver side door handle for a 2000 tacoma?

PhdNPrerunners 08-01-2014 10:11 PM

Bump the door handle just broke on the Tacoma I bought yesterday. Does anyone know of a tight up or video on how to replace it?

toendanger 08-01-2014 10:40 PM

Check out eBay. Or even Amazon. I just ordered a pair for $28. They're cheap. Not sire on replacing them. Guess I'll find out when I get em. Maybe I'll do a write up.

tan4x4 08-01-2014 11:15 PM

Not that hard to replace.
- Remove inner door panel
- peel back rear part of plastic weather seal
- unclip the 2 actuating rods from the the handle assembly
- remove 2 nuts from the inside
- slide the handle assembly out thru the door

PhdNPrerunners 08-02-2014 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tan4x4 (Post 8988314)
Not that hard to replace.
- Remove inner door panel
- peel back rear part of plastic weather seal
- unclip the 2 actuating rods from the the handle assembly
- remove 2 nuts from the inside
- slide the handle assembly out thru the door

Thanks Rick!

Vegas Handyman 08-03-2014 07:42 PM

Pretty common problem. I changed mine out about three months ago. It took about 30 minutes. I had a little issue getting the lock fastened it. I think I found one youtube video on it.

vern650 08-04-2014 01:59 AM

are they actually broken or just not opening the door? When I picked up my '97 the drivers door wouldn't open from the outside so I pulled the door panel off and did some investigating. It turned out a tab was just bent so I straightened it and been workin fine for a year now.

toendanger 08-05-2014 01:11 AM

Just replaced my handles today. Yeah they were pretty easy. Took a little fidgeting to get the old ones out, and the new ones in. The bolts lined up and everything, but they just seemed a hair smaller than the factory ones. And they don't feel quite as sturdy. But sturdy enough to where they feel like they won't be breaking for years to come. They work pretty nice. Seems like they could have a little more, Idk, "spring" to them. Or more of a nice "pop" when u open it. They just seem a little, "spongy" when u pull on them. Like, it doesn't pop open until you lift the handle half way. Seems like it should just pop open sooner. Not sure If that's just because of the handle, or the fact the inner linkage is possibly a little worn out too from the past 13 years. Idk but I am still happy with them! Now I'm not afraid of getting locked out. Heh.
Btw, they were handles I got on eBay for $28 for the pair. Hope this helps anyone who's thinking about this and is anxious about what to get and how to replace.
If u really want a write up, I can make one tho. It only took me about 30 min.s to do and that was taking my time...