1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

02 sr5 4x4 Shocks (again)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by History, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Apr 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    History

History [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Ok I know this has been beat to death so take it easy on me please. I have read several threads and more than likely missed the one answering my question.

I'm an older guy (just turned fifty) , bought this truck as a driver ,running errands and stuff, not for long trips just usually me but an occasional passenger. Truck has 100k on it. I drove it on a trip the other day for 100ish miles and got more intimate with the noises and feel of it. It feels like it needs new shocks and maybe springs ,front looks low (looks to be frowing in the rear) (told you I read threads about this).

Looks like the Bilstein 5100 is what most people are doing. With that said here is what I want and could some one tell me what setup I need to match that please?

I grew up around plenty of rednecks and would have had giant tires on a 4x4 if I could have afforded it, I couldnt so I just always admired so there is a hint of red in me but age has mellowed that out.

I dont want to bounce around alot ,my back hurts. I want a better ride, I wont be doing any off-roading to speak of but who knows. I want it to sit a little higher than stock but not obviously jacked up. Might go with a larger diameter tire than stock but probably wont do a wide tire. I wont be hauling any heavy loads as I have other vehicles for that, just bicycles and such.

Any recomendations on a particular setup??

Remember no flaming:) . I appreciate any help you can give.. Thanks

Spell this out in simple terms so even an idiot can understand please. :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. Apr 19, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    LSC15

LSC15 Southern Retrofits

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD D-Cab
    2008 Double Cab - Current 2002 4runner - Sold 2001 Double Cab - Sold 1995 Xtra Cab - Sold
    Where you from? And what year tacoma and everything? Pics would help

3. Apr 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM
    mlittle

mlittle T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    I went with 5100s all around and Eibach coils in the front and a ToyTec AAL in the rear. My rear leaf springs were bad, but I didn't have the extra money at the time to buy an entire leaf pack. The AAL has been working fine for me. The new suspension has given me a nicer look as well. I don't recall the overall additional lift, but I do have some additional weight on my truck (brush guard in the front and cap on the back. The overall installation went fairly well. I ended up using the autocraft shop on post, so they had all the tools that I needed.

4. Apr 20, 2013 at 5:11 AM
    History

History [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I am in the mountains of North Carolina. (I see you are from NC mtns (Logan) . Im in Alleghany county)

Thanks to you all for reply. I will take a few pictures so you can see what I am working with. I will also give Dan a buzz next week .

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  5. Apr 20, 2013 at 6:19 AM
    LSC15

LSC15 Southern Retrofits

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD D-Cab
    2008 Double Cab - Current 2002 4runner - Sold 2001 Double Cab - Sold 1995 Xtra Cab - Sold
    Yea I'm from Caldwell watauga area

Products Discussed in

To Top