1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket steering wheel for a 1998

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TheRealKraken, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Jun 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    TheRealKraken

TheRealKraken [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma
    3" lift, 2010 black Taco wheels wrapped in 33" tires, Double-din radio.
    I have a '98 taco and I want to replace the steering wheel in it, since its not my favorite style and the grip on it is getting pretty low. I have a cover I want to put on it for now, but I want to replace it altogether eventually. I want to have an airbag and it to go along with the light blue/grey interior I have. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Jun 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Celica or Supra steering wheels from around the same era is your best bet.

But they are either very hard to find used or insanely expensive new.

3. Jun 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    Problem is your airbag... If the airbag is not from the same year(s) it was designed for you are walking into a mess.. NOT all airbags are the same.. Ones from supra will not work nor any others do to the fact that the airbag is DESIGNED for that interior only..

Example the NEW RECALL including my tundra 2003 is for the airbag. if you notice its only for XX years and NOT the new ones.. Airbag designs change all the time do to interior changes..

Also if you have cruise control you will LOSE that also unless you fab something up with the controller if not using a factory wheel..

Products Discussed in

To Top