1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Vibration at Low RPM?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by FalloutMaster, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Jun 11, 2013 at 4:55 PM
    FalloutMaster

FalloutMaster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD SR5
    Grillcraft insert, partial debadge, Toyota tailgate decal, Fog light mod, Anzo headlights, '98 tail lights
    So I noticed since I test drove the truck that at low RPM, like when the brake is on and I am stopped, the truck vibrates ever so slightly. Runs smooth as can be once I get rolling, but around the 500 RPM range it is a bit shaky. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to fix, if it was even a problem. It is only noticeable enough to bother me, not enough to cause me any real problems. I noticed, though that when I turn the AC off, and the RPM bumps up to about 900, no more vibration/shakiness. Turn AC back on, RPM drops to around 500 again and it vibrates. Any ideas fellas? Run some SeaFoam through it or...?
    -EDIT- AC on when driving, no vibrations, only vibrates when stopped, so I don't think it is the AC compressor.

2. Jun 12, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    swdockter

swdockter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Burbs, IL
    2" lift, 5100s, AAL, K&N, Deck Plate, 375K and counting
    mine does the same thing. I have a load of miles on mine and I figure maybe get injectors professionally cleaned, replace plugs, maybe plug wires, clean throttle body, clean MAS...if that doesn't do it, I'm probably looking at a loss of compression in a cylinder or two. I'm not really worried. Mine doesn't die...just a little shaky when she drops down in idle. Same thing here...turn on air, smooths right out

3. Jun 12, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    Mishael

Mishael Professional Novice

Member:
    First Name:
    Mishael
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Vehicle:
    2017 Manual Black TRD Sport
    Well I don't know if this is the right answer but there is a reason that your AC in your house costs so much to run. It uses a lot of energy to operate therefore costs money to use. The same can be said in an engine with your vehicles AC. When you use it, it uses a significant amount of energy, which costs you fuel. When you press the AC button it disengages a clutch on the compressor in your engine giving your belt system the full load of that compressor which puts an extra load on your engine and your idle doesn't account for that. I haven't seen this myself because mine doesn't have a tach but I know that i had a seized idler pulley and i freed it and ever since then my gas milage has gone up about 1 mpg.

More load, same gas and air, less rotations

Just something to think about

4. Jun 13, 2013 at 6:03 AM
    swdockter

swdockter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Burbs, IL
    2" lift, 5100s, AAL, K&N, Deck Plate, 375K and counting

You missed the OP point here. His tacoma is not idling as smooth as he would like or expect. When you turn on the AC or Defroster, the computer tells the IAC to up the idle to support the extra load. All we are both saying is that when that happens, the idle smooths out. It’s like there is a problem with our motors because they won’t idle smooth around 500 rpm. Kick up the idle with the gas pedal or AC/Defroster and it smooths right out. That’s all. We’re just trying to figure it out.

5. Jun 13, 2013 at 6:25 AM
    Mishael

Mishael Professional Novice

Member:
    First Name:
    Mishael
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Vehicle:
    2017 Manual Black TRD Sport
    Oh, I see what you're getting at. Mine has the exact same problem
    Apologies on the somewhat smartass response

6. Jun 15, 2013 at 2:38 AM
    FalloutMaster

FalloutMaster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD SR5
    Grillcraft insert, partial debadge, Toyota tailgate decal, Fog light mod, Anzo headlights, '98 tail lights
    No worries. Its not a big deal, the vibration, it is just an annoying little thing, but I'm sure I will get used to it over time.

7. Jun 15, 2013 at 4:25 AM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
  8. Jun 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    I like low idle. it rumbles deeper :D

but seriously, I think it's more of a 1st gen thing. I've been in at least three with the same rough idle. they're designed to last forever, not idle like a Porsche

9. Jun 16, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    On my 2.7L truck, when at idle, when I TURN ON the A/C, the computer INCREASES the idle to allow for the extra load of the compressor. According to your first post, the idle drops. That needs to be corrected. What is a normal idle for a 3.4L?

10. Jun 16, 2013 at 6:45 AM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    My 3.4l idles right around 700 with AC on and 500 with it off. As stated i would do a tune up. Plugs, wires, air filter, clean MAF and run a can of Greased lightning fuel treatment through it. Most people never clean the MAF sensor and that could make a big difference.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top