1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

About to Buy '04. with a 3" block lift... ADVICE NEEDED

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by HF13, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    HF13

HF13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    North Central FL
    Vehicle:
    '04 4X4 TRD Xtra Cab
    Hey Fellas

been looking for a solid 2 months now and just sold my dd chevy so i need something ASAP and not settling for anything other than a 1st gen...that said I know very little about lifts and Need advice desperately

truck is an '04, 4X4 TRD offroad 5 speed Xtra cab...

Truck Im looking at has a 3" block lift (guy said hes not sure of brand, got it off ebay for $220), not sure what it has in the front (could the front and rear shocks be the original bilsteins, with just a spacer added up front?), and I know very little about lifts, suspensions, etc.

I am a STOCK guy, and like the look of the 1st gen star wheels with some all terrains on it, and from what Ive read i dont need a lift for that.

QUESTION:

1. Should I be concerned about wear on other parts of the truck if he has around 20k miles on the truck with the block lift?

2. If i get the truck, would it be a pain to turn it back to STOCK? Owner said he does not have original U bolts etc, so where would I order them from? I assume the block lift uses original shocks (front and rear), and original leaf, so I wouldnt have to get anything else...is that correct?

3. I am planning on towing a 16 ft fiberglass skiff with a 70HP yamaha, Ive read the towing bible sticky and know the boat would be well within the towing limits of the truck. Would a AAL be good to install instead of keeping it stock, purpose being so the truck rides level when the boat is hooked up? Just dont want any sagging of truck with boat attached, any kind of saggage is bad IMO ;)

4. If a truck is lifted with blocks in the back, are spacers the only thing added up front?

All I know about suspension etc is from lurking on here is that:

AAL - Add a leaf
    OME - Old man Emu
    OEM - What truck was originally manufactured with? now im confused

You can prolly tell by now I dont know shit when it comes to this stuff, any direction to a thread that explains the BASICS would be much appreciated

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jun 19, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    It would help if you could pst some photos of the front and rear suspension. Then we'd know what your dealing with and can offer some suggestions.

3. Jun 19, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    HF13

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    North Central FL
    Vehicle:
    '04 4X4 TRD Xtra Cab
    gotcha...i will when i can, truck is 8 hours away and im going to check it out this weekend, so as of now its not a possibility

4. Jun 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    1.) kind of depends on how the guy drove it. If he just cruised around town trying to look cool then you're a lot better off than if he was mud bogging every weekend.
    (were I you, I would just replace all four shocks to be safe at the same time as I took ou the blocks and I'm assuming spacers up front. I have OME shocks at stock height on my Pickup and it rides wonderfully :) )

2.) It would not be hard at all for yourself or a mechanic to take out the blocks and spacers. There are a lot of sites you can get U bolts from, I'm sure someone else can chime in where is best but anything like trdparts4u or something should have em.

3.) Look into air bags specifically made for towing. That way you won't have a lift out back when you're not towing, but you will have the necessary resistance when you are.

4.) Most likely.

5. Jun 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    HF13

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    North Central FL
    Vehicle:
    '04 4X4 TRD Xtra Cab
    Guy sounded like he went offroad with it for a bit, but no idea as to how much...Thx for the reply!

6. Jun 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    okay so the blocks gotta go. I'd be very weary of all four corners. best to replace all four shocks with bilsteins (or OME).

if you're reverting to stock keep in mind the previous owner might have put larger tires on the lift so as you lower you need to make sure you can still clear the tires.

as far as towing, if you don't want lift and to stay stock height, airbags are right up your alley. I believe Firestone makes some. they really level out the ride when towing we have some on our Tahoe towing two tons of trailer and not a bit of sag after inflation

7. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM
    HF13

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    North Central FL
    Vehicle:
    '04 4X4 TRD Xtra Cab
    roger that, I appreciate the advice....from what pics i have seen of the stock '01-'04 taco, it seems that the front sits a bit lower than the rear anyway, so im thinking i might not even have to do airbags, just the OME version of the original shocks, leafs, and coils?

8. Jun 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM
    HF13

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    North Central FL
    Vehicle:
    '04 4X4 TRD Xtra Cab
    bump

Products Discussed in

To Top