1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Axle seal parts question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Logger, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Jul 7, 2014 at 3:44 PM
    Logger

Logger [OP] out for a rip are ya bud?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD OR Crew Cab
    Just trying to get some conformation on the parts needed to replace the rear axle seal. I've tried contacting the dealer to get some answers, but all they say is there's one seal needed. I'm not so sure, from what I've gathered there is a o-ring and possibly another seal. Can someone tell me what is needed (inner / outer seal and o-ring?). My truck is a 2004 4wd w/ locker and ABS. thanks

2. Jul 8, 2014 at 4:05 AM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    Low range off road sells a kit with everything you need to do the seals and bearing on the rear axle. I just orderd it, I'm sure I could have found the parts a bit cheaper, but my time and mental sanity have a price. (my local Toyota dealer is full of idiots with marked up parts...)

3. Jul 8, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    You "can" replace just the seal. This only requires the seal and the o-ring. The o-ring is just one of those "why chance it, it's cheap" things. All the other stuff stays on the axle shaft/backing plate assembly when it is withdrawn from the housing.
    Keep in mind, there is a pretty fair chance that all or some of the grease has been washed out of the axle bearing by the leaking oil. The bearing below lived with a leaking seal for quite a while (several years). Mechanically it's in good shape but the grease is completely washed away. The only thing that kept it alive was the leaking gear oil passing thru it. To change the bearing or not will be a judgement call when it is inspected. Many folks will not consider doing just the seal.
    DSCN1047800x600_zps475478e1_292286ffb970044c0a90141465d4a1412c6767a1.jpg

If the bearing needs to be replaced a fairly specialized pressing operation is in order. There are some special tools for this that are 99% required and the seal in an ABS rear can in itself can be very tricky to install correctly with an improvised seal driver.
    It sounds like you have been doing your homework but here are a few quick links and there are a ton more on all the forums. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...roper-way-press-new-rear-wheel-bearing-3.html

To set the record straight about parts needed, this is what you have from the inside towards the outside.

Inner seal, keeps the oil in the diff
    A "retainer", a collar that the seal rides on
    ABS "tone ring" or reluctor
    Snap ring
    One more identical retainer, used as a spacer more or less
    The bearing
    An outer seal, keeps crud from the outside world from getting in
    Additionally, the o-ring seals the bearing case to the axle housing

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top