1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ATF fluid change/flush

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by notslow, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Jul 12, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    notslow

notslow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Springs, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD black
    Hey guys, I decided I should change the trans fluid since I don't know when the previous owner did it if at all. I did some searches and found out to change all of the fluid I need to flush the system by draining from the cooler return line and refilling 2 quarts at a time.

I just want to be clear about a few things before I start this mess.

1. Mobile 1 synthetic ATF says that it is T-IV compliant. Any reason I shouldn't use it? I prefer long life synthetic fluids

2. I have a 2002 TRD 3.4, does it have the trans cooler? I assume it would, but want to be sure before crawling under there.

3. How many quarts of fluid do I really need? I have heard as high as 16 quarts :eek:

As always, thanks for all the great advise :)

2. Jul 12, 2009 at 7:51 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    The tranny for the 5vz-fe doesn't have an OEM trans cooler, if there is one then it is an aftermarket one. If you're doing a complete flush (not recommended if the fluid hasn't been changed in a loooooooog time), yes it takes 16 16 quarts. If you're just doing a drain and refill then it only take 3-4 quarts. There is no replaceable filter in the pan. Just remove it and clean it out.

3. Jul 12, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    with the mobil1, although its good and says its compatible, i have heard that its not too good to replace the t4 fluid with. amsoil has some new stuff out that supposedly replaces it, but again, not totally sure if it will be as good as the t4. the transmissions have a built in cooler, but you can always do as im about to and run an auxiliary cooler. as for how many quarts total......not totally sure, but 16 sounds about right.

4. Jul 12, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    El Taco

El Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    STP MN
    I have an '01 with the 5VZ with over 150K. Just did the drain and fill from the pan and got just over 1 qt out...weird???

I bought her used with 140K already and have no idea what the previous owners did. I used Mobil 1 syn ATF, along with adding a trans cooler in there, and I don't think they've even touched the trans dept. Now, she leaks just a small bit, but not too much to keep filling her up. I got some help on one of these forums that because I swithed to sythetic, it probably "cleaned" the spots where it "sealed" the small leak. She's running good now and I've had to just add about another qt to compensate for the trans cooler. But this is just my truck, good luck on yours. cheers.

5. Jul 13, 2009 at 12:59 PM
    2toys

2toys Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    01 Red Hot Double Taco
    I will need to get into my fluids soon. What ATF do I need for my '01 2.7 auto? Been reading, but it seems there is mixed suggestions and a rumor of a fluid change from -02 to +03? TIA

6. Jul 13, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    El Taco

El Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    STP MN
    I'd suggest going with the stock stuff. I called my local stealership here and they said "we don't carry them"...<--WTF!!! Anyways, I went with Mobil 1 syn ATF from the local auto store only because they were abundant everywhere!

Keep in mind, synthetics might "clean" a bit too much causing a small leak as I did from my post ^. If your's is an '01 like mines, it should be dex-III (check the dip stick) cheers.

7. Sep 6, 2009 at 4:17 PM
    2toys

2toys Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    01 Red Hot Double Taco
    OK, just to re-visit this as I'm changing fluids tomorrow. DipStick says Dex-II! I've looked at it a number of times and its Dex-II. Does that sound right?

I picked up Mobile 1 ATF and will drain and add, but I wonder if someone changed the DipStick somewhere along the way...

Well, yep Dex-II. It also repeats the fluid type on the drain plug.

8. Jun 2, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    I was never to keen on the idea of mixing transmission fluids, I am no chemist, but mixing of chemicals can't be good, if you were to flush a trans along with the torque converter there still is fluid burned into the clutch packs, only if I were to do a total rebuild would I change from the OEM fluid. My $.02

9. Jun 2, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anyone ever think of maybe looking in the owners manual for the fluid type? I think Toyota may have an idea of what fluid to use:D Maybe;)

10. Jun 3, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

What a crazy idea. Look in the owner's manual to see what kind of fluids to use? Next you will expect us to see when we should change our oil and what octane gasoline to use.:eek:

11. Jun 3, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    lol!

12. Jun 4, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    montanabay

montanabay Active Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2.7L 4WD AUTO
    the Dex are all forward compatible, so if your trans was designed for Dex-II, Dex III, IV, and VI will work, but if your trans was designed for Dex-VI, you should not put in Dex II, III, IV.

My 1995.5 2.7L 4WD Auto says Dex-II on the dipstick, right now it as Dex-III in it, tomorrow I'm putting in Dex-VI (Valvoline synthetic). I'll let you know how it goes.

Products Discussed in

To Top