1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice on front shock installation

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Beau02, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Nov 13, 2009 at 2:20 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    I recently joined TW, and reading all of the threads on shock installation inspired to me to do the job myself instead of just taking it to a shop. I got a set of 5100s from Downsouth Motorsports and started the task this afternoon.

So, the rears are on and that was pretty simple. I have the front passenger assembly off and have put the spring on the new shock. Now I can't seem to get the assembly back on? The issue is that I can't get the bottom of the shock compressed enough to line up with the mounting holes. Is there some sort of trick to this? I haven't seen anything in the threads about having trouble compressing it to the point of being able to get the lower bolt in.

Hopefully this makes sense. Can anyone give me some advice on completing the installation so I can get my taco back on the road???

2. Nov 13, 2009 at 2:31 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Is the lower control arm hitting something and preventing it from drooping as much as you need?

3. Nov 13, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    I can't imagine it would be stopped by anything - should I have disconnected something? The only thing under the truck right now is the jack stand on the frame. If I push down on the wheel hub I can make it drop a little, but not enough to get the holes line up, and of course when I take my weight off it returns back up to a resting position. I even tried putting the rim back on hoping that added weight would make it sag a little more and help out, but it didn't make much difference other than taking my working space away...

4. Nov 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    You may have to disconnect your lower control arm. At the lower part of the spindle, you will see 2 bolts. One on each side of the lower ball joint. Remove the 2 bolts and that will allow the lower control arm to drop enough to install the assembly.

5. Nov 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    I had to use a pry bar to hold it down to get the bolt in.

6. Nov 13, 2009 at 3:36 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    You won't be able to compress the coil over because of the spring. You need to get your Lower A arm to drop a little to get room to install.

7. Nov 13, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    monoman

monoman Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tacoma SR Access Cab 4X4
    SnugTop SuperSport shell CaliRaisedLED light bar Toyo Open Country AT/3's Bilstein 5100's up front, (#2) & 4600 in rear Daily driver....
    Just a little trick my cuz told me about when re-installing my springs after replacing my front shocks. (Had the same problem) Take your bottle jack that came with your truck & put it upside down on top of the a-arm. The bottom side of the jack should be snug on the top of the wheel well. Now just crank the jack little by little untill you can get that bottom bolt on. It works like a charm!

....and don't worry, you wont bend the inside of the wheel well! You just need a little bit to get it to work.....

8. Nov 13, 2009 at 6:05 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the tips fellas - I'm planning on attacking it again tomorrow morning. Hopefully I'll get the passenger side back together and can do the driver side a little quicker.

Side Note: I think the next time I'm going to take them somewhere to have the springs swapped . . . what a miserable task!

9. Nov 13, 2009 at 9:10 PM
    mtucker

mtucker Tacoma addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Replaced chrome badges with Sockmonkey black badges, painted billet grill black, K&N cold air intake, my corner light turn signal circuit, Speedfreek traction bars, RAAMaudio BXT/Ensolite, Stereo: Kenwood KIV-701 USB/Bluetooth deck, 10" Pioneer shallow sub behind the rear seat, Infinity 6822cf 6x8 front and rear doors, Fosgate P400-2 (sub), US Acoustics USX-4065 (four main speakers)
    I did that too. I used the middle setting on the 5100 and it took just a few pumps of the jack to lower the A-arm enough to get the shock hold lined up with the A-arm hole. It worked great.
    Matt

10. Nov 14, 2009 at 2:04 AM
    FuTang909Inamo

FuTang909Inamo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal IE
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD PreRunner
    Deckplate mod, Trueflow drop in filter, clear corners, 31 BFG A/T on 15x8 Mb Razors.
    Try disconnecting the sway bar before the ball joint(s). And yes the bottle jack is effective. When I did mine I did it with the bottle up not upside down. When I tried it upside down the bottle would slip. Also make sure you torque your hardware. The top 3 strut nuts, torque to 47ft lbs. The lower 101 ft lbs. IMO it would be a good idea to re-torque after you test drive your truck.

11. Nov 14, 2009 at 8:42 AM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    Okay, I got the passenger side back together and almost immediately ran aground on the driver side. I can't seem to get the lower bolt out. I soaked it with oil and now I'm waiting for it to soak in. I'm hoping that does the trick...

Will the tips above also work in helping get the lower bolt free by easing up some of the pressure?

12. Nov 14, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Get the nut off, and I usually use a 6" 3/8 socket extension and tap it out with a hammer.

13. Nov 14, 2009 at 10:15 AM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    I'll try that again in a little bit after the oil soaks in. I've been beating on it with a dead blow hammer and even tried a standard hammer, but the standard hammer started to distort the end of the bolt so I stopped.

14. Nov 14, 2009 at 10:39 AM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    Do you have a drift pin you can use to knock it out?

15. Nov 14, 2009 at 10:54 AM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    I'm not totally sure what a drift pin is? Is it like a large diameter punch?

16. Nov 14, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Yes, it seems like you need to take the tension off of the bolt to get it out.

17. Nov 14, 2009 at 11:03 AM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    Can you elaborate on that a little? What's my best bet to take the tension off?

18. Nov 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    Okay, I found the root of the problem, but it only makes me more concerned...

It isn't a matter of pressure on the bolt, but rather that it's actually seized up inside the shock bushing. It will turn a little just because the soft bushing/damping material will allow it. My new plan is to douse it in penetrating oil, let it sit again overnight, and beat the hell out of it with a hammer again tomorrow. I hope that does it since I'll need to get to work on Monday!

Any words of wisdom now that the real cause has presented itself?

19. Nov 15, 2009 at 12:46 AM
    FuTang909Inamo

FuTang909Inamo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal IE
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD PreRunner
    Deckplate mod, Trueflow drop in filter, clear corners, 31 BFG A/T on 15x8 Mb Razors.
    That's weird...the right came out easy but the left is seized up. I used a pry bar and just tapped the bolt out while working the pry bar at the same time.

20. Nov 15, 2009 at 10:53 AM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    Well, I finally gave up. I'll have to take it somewhere this week to get the last shock installed. I ran out of ideas. I even soaked it with penetrating oil, put it back together, and drove it around on some bumpy roads hoping that would help loosen it up . . . no dice.

Thanks for the tips though - I appreciate everyone's input.

Products Discussed in

To Top