1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tools help?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomaman96, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Mar 15, 2008 at 1:41 AM
    tacomaman96

tacomaman96 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 stock 2.7l reg cab
    I have a factory service manual but don't wanna spend alot on tools I don't really need, what special tools will I need to replace brake pads, rotor, drum, wheel bearings, on a 96 2.7l

2. Mar 15, 2008 at 7:34 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Unless you really want to own the tools you might be able to borrow them from your local parts store. There are a few around here that just ask for a deposit for specialty tools you need to install parts you bought from them.

3. Mar 15, 2008 at 8:23 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    That's a really tough question.... Get yourself some basic tools to start.

Do some research online and find out exactly what types & sizes you need for those jobs.

The job you are performing will need certain tools to loosen & tighten - but until you actually get in there and work on it, you don't know what types of surprises you'll run into. When I say surprises - I mean, bolts won't come loose, parts frozen together, rusted, etc. These special situations require more tools to get the job done.

For brakes - having a c-clamp (and a piece of wood) is something you might wanna buy. That's to compress the pistons to get the new pads in. I've never done wheel bearings - but those jobs are more complicated and more tools & more experience.

4. Mar 15, 2008 at 10:04 AM
    tacomaman96

tacomaman96 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 stock 2.7l reg cab
    o.k. thanks guys I'll check around got a kragen and auto zone right down the street, maybe they'll let me borrow, kragen knows me by name cause I'm always in there. I do have a good mechanics tool set I'm just not gonna have the special service tools for all those little specific jobs

Products Discussed in

To Top