1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate hinge issues

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Montanaman, May 19, 2010.

1. May 19, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    Montanaman

Montanaman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4
    Hey guys, newbie here. I just ordered a new tailgate shell for my taco as my last was almost bent in half from years of motorbikes, 4 wheelers and such. I got shell from autopartswholesale online primed and ready to be painted. However, after gutting my tailgate I was unable to remove the bottom hinges that bolt directly to the truck from the tailgate. The bolt that holds it to the truck came out no prob, but I cannot get the hinge of the tailgate and stripped the star nuts out.

Obviously the hinges are not on the new shell and I have looked everywhere for just the hinges, as that is all I need to finish the job. Any ideas as where I can order them? I imagine the dealer would have them somewhere, but I dont feel like seeling my firstborn to get em.

Thanks fellas

2. May 19, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    Junkyard?

3. May 19, 2010 at 8:47 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    I think I'd just drill out the old bolts personally.

You're going to have to get new screws anyway since you stripped it. The screws are tapered with built in locking (and really difficult to remove - must have the right sized torque wrench with either a cheater bar or a good hammer).

A site like http://www.toyotapartszone.com/ will get you what you need, although it wont be any cheaper than just going to the dealer directly. I have had to get a few items from here that the dealer has told me no on though.

If the piece is the same with all models and years (should be), you're looking at the following part numbers for the hinge pieces. 66110‑89108, 66120‑89102. About $25-30 each.

The screws/bolts (90149‑80020) look to only be about $1 each.

But again, since the original hinges are still good, drill out the screws on the original tailgate and save yourself the money. Then go visit the dealer and buy your 4 new screws.

Products Discussed in

To Top