1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dual Battery Question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by MJonesTrumpet, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Jul 25, 2010 at 3:35 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
  2. Jul 27, 2010 at 6:48 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

MJonesTrumpet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    hm good read thanks! some of those links didnt work, but the ones I did confirmed a lot of things I was wondering. I checked with several different people, who sell several different products, and then with there service techs, and we've concluded, that for my needs, and everything I layed out for them and explained why, that my best bet would be to get an identical battery and wire them in parallel without the isolator. No one is sure if I will need a bigger alternator or not. They said don't buy one just yet, worse case senario, i kill mine, and i buy one then. They told me to hook everything up, run it for a bit, and see if my batteries start to drain and not keep up. They suggested use of a volt meter, but I was wondering on the way home, wouldnt my scan guage also determine the voltage of my batteries? Anyway, thanks for all the help! Oh, and the one guy said (he may have been mistaken, or flat out lying to sell the one brand over the other) the PIAA 540s would take less than the hellas and put out more light. I have no idea, nor do I have any means of 'testing', but does anyone know anything about this? The guy sold both hellas and PIAAs. The PIAAs are about an inch smaller, so I guess I could understand that they may take less power, but, I dont know if they'd really give more light, especially since they are smaller. What do you guys think?

3. Jul 27, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    You need to get the Lumen output and compare that to the amps each draw. Get the one that has more Lumens and least amps.

4. Jul 27, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    If i looked correctly, they take the same amount of energy, but the PIAA actually does put out twice the output. That being said though, I think its far easier to convert Hellas to HID than PIAA is, so then Hellas would win...I think anyway...lol

5. Jul 27, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    hmmm those links worked for me. oh well glad you got some info out of it. identical batteries and identical age isimportant.

6. Jul 28, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Thanks for all your help! The battery I have on hold at sears is 1 month newer than my current battery I just put in not even 2 weeks ago. Do you think it will be ok, or would that destroy everything?

7. Jul 28, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    That won't hurt it. A year differance, I might worry. 3 years or more and replace both. It really depends on age and useage.

8. Jul 28, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    great news, thanks a bunch!

Here is kind of a random question about battery terminals that I dont know if you will know or not...on these marine batteries, there are 4 terminals. 2 are the regular size terminals all batteries have. the other two are a little smaller...I wasn't sure if maybe boats have smaller terminal connectors or not...anyway, what I would like to do, is wire the batteries together using the 4 small terminals (they aren't that small, just smaller). I thought that keeping the extra big terminals would help for jumping other people etc, plus it would look nicer having the 4 little ones all attached. Do you think the smaller terminals put out less power, or will they be ok connected by them. I'll post a link to the webpage of the battery i'm talking about for a bettery visual picture.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850134000P?mv=rr

9. Jul 28, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    The terminals with wing nuts are for accessories. The clamp-on posts are for starters and/or accessories

10. Jul 28, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    sooooo...does that mean I can attach the battiers together with those wing nut posts?

11. Jul 28, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Yea. That'll work.

12. Jul 28, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    excelent, thanks for all your info and help! rep to you!

13. Nov 14, 2010 at 4:48 AM
    BigA

BigA Hey you'll watch this!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    A
    Yadkinville,NC
    Vehicle:
    07 sr5 tacomo trd debadged
    12v outlet power always on, fog light on anytime, Window tint, Extra D-Rings in bed, cheap anti theft tailgate mod, hidden garage door opener,LEDS in the map lights and the floor boards and in the main light,DTRL mod w/ factory relay and harness

Products Discussed in

To Top