1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What should I do First????

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JoshO, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Aug 10, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    JoshO

JoshO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Baltimore MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab 4x4 TRD Sport (Silver)
    Pop a Lock Bolt Codeable Tailgate Lock, Tyger Tonneau Cover, Stubby Antenna, Led Interior Lights, K&N Series 63 CAI, AVS In-Channel Visors. Upcoming Cat-Back Exahust and Lift kit
    I love my Tacoma and am not sure what I should start improving. It is a Brand new 2010 Double Cab 4x4 with the TRD Sport Package. I didn't really want the sport package, it would be cooler if the hood scope functioned, but it was the only Black one in the Area. I use it as my weekend vehicle. I would love to have a more aggressive look and have thought about maybe a brush guard with lights and a winch. I would also like a toolbox for the bed that would slide in the rail system and a sliding bed extender but cannot find either. It would be really cool if the truck box had some flush mounted lights to illuminate the bed since a cargo lamp is missing. I also do not have a lot of cash. I am willing to try things myself but do not want to start messing with the electrical. I have done some electric on my other car installing lights in the trunk but I spliced into a wire and I used a shop manual to get the correct wire.
    Any ideas????

2. Aug 10, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Slow down....slow down. Enjoy the truck for what it is. You'll learn what mods you wanna do first and ONE AT A TIME. Your wallet will thank you!

You can't mount a winch on a brush guard and expect it to be functional. You need a full replacement bumper or a front receiver hitch - both of which will mount to the frame rails for structural integrity.

Search the forum. Lots of do-it-yourself modifications already listed on the forum. Look at the stickie threads in the Technical forum and on the 2nd gen forum.

There are a couple writeups for bed lights too.

3. Aug 10, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    outlawtacoma

outlawtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4RTRDOR
    You're gonna like this place :D

well if you can't find it, chances are you can make it, or somebody here can... Make her your own!

Welcome to TW!!!

4. Aug 10, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    welcome, you can find info on pretty much anything you want to do to your truck on here. if i could go back and start over, i would have got some type of cold air intake or exaust first. but that's just my 2 cents.

5. Aug 10, 2010 at 12:17 PM
    Hermit

Hermit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD ext cab
    not much yet, soon to come
    ... welcome to TW...
    First thing to do is start saving money. There's lots of improvements possible, and most of them around $500 to $1000 each. Figure out what you would enjoy the most, and pay cash for it.

6. Aug 10, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    First things I did to mine:
    Cover King Neoprene Seat Covers
    WeatherTech Floor mats

Once it was reasonably kid proof I can think about things I'd like to do.

7. Aug 10, 2010 at 12:33 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
  8. Aug 10, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I did the Oznium LED Flood lights in the bed:
    [​IMG]

They're not as bright as the walmart cheapies but they're pretty small and still put out enough light. I put in 6 of them and just velcroed them to the bed. They cost about 18 bucks each if you buy more than 3.
    http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-light

9. Aug 11, 2010 at 5:32 AM
    JoshO

JoshO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Baltimore MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab 4x4 TRD Sport (Silver)
    Pop a Lock Bolt Codeable Tailgate Lock, Tyger Tonneau Cover, Stubby Antenna, Led Interior Lights, K&N Series 63 CAI, AVS In-Channel Visors. Upcoming Cat-Back Exahust and Lift kit
    You guys are awesome! Neoprene seat covers are a great idea. I spend a lot of time at the beach and hate getting into my truck wet. I will slow down and drive the truck awhile before doing any mechanical mods, but thanks for recommending a cold air intake to start. The bumper replacement was a very helpful tidbit. Thanks for the bed light ideas as well. I will post pics of the truck soon. My father already added a bed cover and nerf bars to his Tacoma.
    Josh

Products Discussed in

To Top