1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas pedal recall with reflash; seems to fix shifting too

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JKD, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Aug 11, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    TacoAlaMode

TacoAlaMode Mr. Midlife Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    10 DC LB MG 4X4 TRD Sport
    Icon Ext Coilover, Alcan Rear springs, Demello 3-Hoop Bumper and RockCrusher Sliders, Full tint 360', WeatherTech Floor liners and rainguards, Debadged, In Cabin 110 with 400w anytime, Diff breather mod
    Much appreciated. I'll get them to apply the ECU portion when I go back next week for my new springs. BTW +1!

2. Aug 11, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    RichXKU

RichXKU Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Berks, PA
    Vehicle:
    '06 reg. cab 4x4 2.7 5MT
    K&N (Previous owner), DIY OEM Cruise, DIY OEM Int. Wipers
    I had this done in my 06 and it really smoothed out the cruise control operation.

3. Aug 12, 2010 at 5:00 AM
    TREY4x4

TREY4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Dacula, GA
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport 4x4 DBCB, 2010 TRD OR 4x4 DBCB
    Bilstein 5100's front/back set at 1.75", Pioneer AVIC110-BT head unit, JL 6x9 front and Alpine 6.5 rear, OEM bed mat, Weathertech floor mats, OEM sill protectors, Window tint, N-Fab side steps
    My truck had the lagging transmission issue since I drove it home from my initial purchase. There is most definitely a change in the shift points.

I'd like to hear from more of you that have had this done....

4. Aug 12, 2010 at 5:40 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    by reading all this information i am concluding that: people with a 09-10 Tacoma with automatic transmission that did NOT get either TSB 0373-09 or TSB 0393-09 to fix the shifting problems on the truck are experiencing better trans shifting because the new computer software for the ECM being reflashed for this recall has the new shifting points already built into it.

5. Aug 12, 2010 at 6:02 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    That's my impression as well. I got the trans reflash done a while ago and it was fantastic, it should have come that way.

I was at the dealer on Monday getting my oil and filter replaced (had a coupon so it was free) and they asked me if I wanted them to do the recall on the pedal system. I told him it was a joke and I wanted them NOT to do such things to my perfectly functioning truck. He cracked a smile but was trying to hold it back.:p

6. Aug 12, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    Lunercrab

Lunercrab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    Yep that was mine issue. Two says after I purchased the truck I notice it shifted odd. Took it back to the dealer but they saw nothing wrong with it and refused to flash it per the tsb, so I figured I'd give this a try and so far so good. So all and all it was worth it for me since they couldn't "turn down" a recall :)

7. Aug 12, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I had the transmission (TSB 0373-09) re-flash performed a long time ago, and after having the 90L campaign work performed I did not notice anything different about the shifting patterns. It could very well be the case that the ECU update incorporated past updates, as it should be.

I had the 90L campaign work done for liability reasons and I felt that it was a smart thing to do. Immediately after having the warranty work done I drove on the freeway. Armed with the information in the flowchart that I posted I knew that if I was pressing the accelerator and then concurrently depressed the brake pedal that it would disengage the throttle. I tried it and guess what? It works.

If for some godforsaken reason my accelerator was stuck due to electronic gremlins or a mechanical issue now all I have to do is press the brake pedal which is very intuitive and simple to do. It works. It really works.

Also, if something should go wrong I also have some legal legs to stand on. Although it would be very rare, if something were to go wrong and I had previously declined warranty work regarding a safety campaign, I know that it could be used against me while seeking relief in court or filing a claim against Toyota.

8. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    While true, for legal reasons it's a good idea to have, I have more faith in the product and less faith in the general public. Not only that, I typically do a little light off roading and pulling boats/jet skis out of the lake on a ramp. There are times when I actually needed to use the gas and brake at the same time during those acts. If the reflash is indeed smart enough to only engage if the truck is 30+mph then I don't think it would have an effect on my hobbies.

That being said, should my vehicle ever develop a mind of it's own I will simply shift into neutral.

9. Aug 12, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    I don't know about that gas pedal... it looks way too short for my liking. I'm almost positive i'll be taking my truck in to get this recall thing done but i'm wondering if I can pass up on the gas pedal trimming and have them just do the re-flash..

Thanks for all the info everybody.

10. Aug 12, 2010 at 12:41 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    Did you read the pdf above?

To allow the vehicle to start on a hill without
    rolling backwards, the Brake Override System
    will not activate if the brake is applied prior to
    pressing the accelerator pedal.

Please note: In order to activate the Brake
    Override System, the accelerator pedal
    must be pressed before the brake pedal.

11. Aug 12, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    So it's not all bad then. Ehhh, then the reflash is something that would be fine. But altering the pedal to make it shorter seems like it would be a dumb idea. I'd think there would be more of a chance your foot would slide off the bottom and catch underneath than it sticking under a floor mat.

12. Aug 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Just took truck in yesterday for oil change / tire rotation

I brought up about the pedal recall and it was already listed to do on my truck

he stated it is cutting the pedal and installing a brake overide
    ( if the brake pedal is pressed , the gas pedal becomes disabled )
    the brake overide has nothing to do with the transmission shifting issues.

Have to say i dont notice any difference on the pedal.

As far as the transmission reflash, had that done a while back
    and havent noticed any funny shifts since done
    so i would recommend that.

13. Aug 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    ^ I agree with not cutting down the pedal. Its already small enough.

14. Aug 12, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    I got response from Toyota:

The brake override feature is designed to be unobtrusive in normal driving conditions. It is designed to manage vehicle acceleration caused by interference with the accelerator pedal and is otherwise undetectable under normal driving conditions.

Using the accelerator pedal position sensors, brake light switch circuitry, and the vehicle speed sensors, this intuitive and intelligent extra measure of confidence helps ensure that vehicles can be controlled in the event that the accelerator pedal is trapped.

When the vehicle throttle is opened beyond the idle position, at speeds greater than five miles per hour and then the brakes are firmly applied for longer than one-half second, the override feature will reduce engine output to the idle position, allowing greater braking performance. If the brake pedal is then released and the engine speed does not return to normal operation, the vehicle should be brought to a stop with brake override, the engine shut off and the vehicle evaluated by a Toyota dealer.

The feature has sophisticated control logic intended to eliminate undesirable or inappropriate activation and is designed to be imperceptible. In certain driving conditions, unnecessary activation of the brake override would create an inconvenient or even unsafe situation.

For example, the brake override feature does not operate if the brake pedal is depressed before the accelerator pedal. This logic allows for vehicles starting on a steep a hill to safely accelerate without rolling backwards, otherwise known as a hill start.

Toyota engineers have carefully calibrated the system control logic to prevent the system from interfering with efforts to free a vehicle by rocking it to gain traction in snow or mud. Since some drivers prefer to brake with the left foot, the system also recognizes this as an intentional action by the driver and will allow the accelerator to function normally.[​IMG]

had my pedal cut and brake overide done on my truck during oil change
    the pedal feels no different and you would have to really go out of your
    way to get your foot under it. I would recommend getting these done.

15. Aug 12, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    My concern as well.

I'm activately seeking an origional non cut pedal just in case. If I find one I'm gonna buy it on the spot.

16. Aug 12, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    Lunercrab

Lunercrab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    Well the weather techs don't seem to be a problem but it sure looks close although when I push it all the way down it never really touches anything. These weather techs i have are the older style where they were higher then they were making them for awhile there. Driving it I don't even notice a difference with the pedal lenghth personally. Feels like it always did to me.
    e9a67cb1_fa5a966eb635520ed223bb3f6144f0f5e0e76ea8.jpg
    3ca21075_8227c10c5b0db7107312858fb3aef44284bacbe3.jpg

17. Aug 12, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Thanks for the pics Beth. I'm hoping it's a non issue for me as well.

But again...if I find me a uncircumsized accelerator pedal...I'm going to buy it on the spot, and probably over pay for it. LOL

I just may want to change mine to OEM to be anti political correct.

That and I've always had trouble with authority. :D

"I fight authority, authority always wins
    I been doing it, since I was a young kid and I've come out grinnin'
    When I fight authority, authority always wins..."

18. Aug 13, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    I'm at the dealership for an oil and filter change and was told at service counter that there's software and pedal recall. I agree to have them take care of it. I really hope I don't have to adjust my seat setting just to reach the pedal now that they're shorter. Does anyone know if toyota will replace the butchered up one with a revised pedal when those become available?

19. Aug 13, 2010 at 12:02 PM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    So I take it that toyota won't be replacing the pedal.

20. Aug 13, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    ::childstoy::

::childstoy:: Hi-Tech Rednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southeast, PA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2010 TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, Tint, Stubby Ant., Debadged, Weathertech Mats, Grillcraft... Currently collecting donations for a New Tires Fund.
    Just saw my Toyota Service Tech buddy at a gas station.

He asked me if I got the pedal trimmed and the reflash done to my 2010. I told him I didnt think it needed it cause it was new and I didn't want them "cutting" my pedal. He said the next I bring it in for service they will just automatically do it cause it's a safty issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top