1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JBL+Double Din Steering wheel adaptor and wire harness

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jdkeller, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Aug 15, 2010 at 11:42 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller [OP] How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I ordered the pioneer 4200dvd. I have that, the remote, bluetooth, and dash kit. I want to get the steering wheel adaptor too. Which one is better:
    The PAC SWI-PS
    http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SWI-PS-Pi..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1281940165&sr=8-1
    or this one with the new version:
    http://www.amazon.com/SWI-PS-Steeri...UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1281940213&sr=1-2-spell
    Im guessing the second. Im installing the bluetooth so is there a special one I should use so I can do call functions on the steering wheel?

And the other problem is what wire harness do I need? I have the jbl package in my truck. I don't plan on adding speakers or amps. Just want to keep what I currently have.
    Can I just buy this cheap $7 scoche one:
    http://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-TA02B...UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1281940725&sr=1-1-spell

or do I need this jbl metra one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Metra-TYTO-01..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1280088603&sr=8-1

Do people use the amp in the unit or the jbl one? Its all greek to me. I would really appreciate help on these matters. Thanks

2. Aug 16, 2010 at 12:35 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Okay, I am on my phone so I can only do so much but I will do what I can! For the steering wheel controls, I have the SWI-PS and if my steering wheel had the capability for Bluetooth controls it would do them. As far as the wire harness goes, you will need to get the jbl one especially if you don't plan on upgrading later. Let's say you buy the $7 one. You will be using the head I units amp, but the stock amp nor the sub woofer will function. For your case, you want the jbl.

3. Aug 16, 2010 at 12:40 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    That sucks. But thank you.

In regards the steering wheel, I don't have Bluetooth controls on the steering wheel. I was thinking maybe since I'm adding bluetooth to the head unit, the steering wheel adaptor would turn some of the buttons on the steering wheel into Bluetooth functions. Because if it's only track and volume stuff how would I answer calls and stuff? Pressing a button on the head unit?

4. Aug 16, 2010 at 4:09 AM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    For the steering wheel switch you need the one with firmware 1.6.8, that is the newest one but you will also need the switches for the right side of the steering wheel to get the bluetooth part to function, you can not reprogram the buttons to do it, already tried, you will need two parts, search the forum for bluetooth switches, total for the set is close to $100. Assuming you have JBL in the truck you will need the second item this will turn on your JBL amp and let the existing speakers work, if you want to use only the speakers you will need the JBL bypass wiring harness, it is like $40 bucks and a large bundle of wires to run to the JBL amp and just really bypass it, hope this makes sense.

5. Aug 16, 2010 at 4:13 AM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    The pac-swi adapter sucks...my stereo shop could only get it to control volume/seek/scan....cant power on/off or switch modes. I have the jbl adapter so I can run the jbl amp...i will get back to you on which one..got it from crutchfield. good luck with the pioneer...i have bought my last one...never again.

6. Aug 16, 2010 at 4:21 AM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    Yes, the jbl metra adapter is what you need to run the factory jbl amp. I added bluetooth to my hu and it works great. go to avic411.com for much pioneer info.

7. Aug 16, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    For the PAC, you can set the buttons to be whatever you want them to be. Long as it is in their list of options. Pushing a button is just a random input, you can decide what each one tells the HU

8. Aug 16, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    It makes sense. Thank you guys.

To Top