1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CAI a total sham??? Per Toyota service tech...

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by ::childstoy::, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Aug 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    mreimann

mreimann Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '15 double cab Limited
    Icon C/O, Fox 2.0, All Pro Expo 2.0 leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, Airflow snorkel, Custom Built Bed Rack, Pelfrey aluminum front bumper and IFS skid, All Pro aluminum rear bumper, SmittyBuilt winch. RTT
    URD has dyno results of their CAI on a stock X-runner IIRC

2. Aug 15, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Funny, I was just going to post something about my K&N. I know it's not drawing air from the fender well so it's by definition not as 'cool' as air coming from there.
    I have it only for the sound. I admit it, I'm a throttle whore, but it works for me and my magnaflow ;)

Isn't the TRD CAI drawing air from the fender and still able to give you a nice sound?
    Best of both worlds? Again, I wish I found this forum before buying the K&N.

Didn't know URD had an intake. Will have to look at it..

3. Aug 15, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    rmerchant3

rmerchant3 Insert nonsense here

Member:
    I would say that service techs are just more realistic. It's not that they don't know the facts, it's just the practicality of it. Working on vehicles everyday gives them a different outlook on cars than the average person. It's like an ER doctor. After a while someone dying in front of them isn't as emotionally wrenching. To a tech spending that kind of money on a part and taking the time to install it isn't worth it for minimalist gains. Start talking superchargers, head work, turbos, etc. and it's all of a sudden worth it. To a tech time is money and why waste both on something insignificant?

4. Aug 15, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    rwcfrank

rwcfrank Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Prerunner
    A dyno wont really help with a cold air intake because the airflow is usually an electric fan and doesnt mimic real raod conditions. Fact, you can suqeeze more cold air into a cylinder than warm therefore power is increased. How much is anyones guess. Lastly, the sound of masses of air being sucked into an engine can make a truck "seem" faster. The real power is made getting as much cold air into the throttle body that you can.

5. Aug 16, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    It seems toyota has engineered a really efficient intake and exhaust system for the 4.0L Most intakes, muffers will not regeister on the butt dyno but will show minimal gains on a real dyno. I would be more interested in getting into the engine ECU to maximize power output. I know there's a good 20-30HP hiding in there. A ECU tune along with adding intake and or exhaust will yield even more than that.

6. Aug 16, 2010 at 2:19 PM
    ::childstoy::

::childstoy:: [OP] Hi-Tech Rednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southeast, PA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2010 TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, Tint, Stubby Ant., Debadged, Weathertech Mats, Grillcraft... Currently collecting donations for a New Tires Fund.
    You have a really good point with the ECU but I would hate to go dickin around with something like that and get negitive results.

I understand the intake coupled with the exhaust makes it sound better. Does it give it a little more of a rumble and less of a "Civic" sound or more of that foreign sound?

7. Aug 16, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    here you go. I have it, tons of other people have it, it ships with the URD supercharger kit for the Tacoma and FJ. works great with the TRD blower and Naturally Aspirated trucks

it's amazing

http://aprpower.com/ECU_mainpage.html

8. Aug 17, 2010 at 5:43 AM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    Yeah it's definatly not for the novice user. I know what to do when it comes to tunning a vehicle's FI/Timing in the ECU. Yes there is a large possibility to mess up your engine if you don't understand engine tunning. I've been tunning Mitsubishi ECUs for years. The hardest part is to learn new software for each vehicle. Once the software is mastered, it's a cake walk.

I just saw this the other night and I'm very intrigued. This is definatly on my mods list.

9. Aug 17, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    superwerty and xrunnit know what they are talking about, i believe they have the 2 fastest trd s/c tacomas

10. Aug 17, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    most companies have the dyno results on their sites.

5% gain in HP on the 4.0 and 5.5-5.6% gain on the 2.7 for the K&N CAI

4oCAI_b70289f2626646043b8a682854513b3413bb2638.jpg

27CAI_7ef35c19e51531f1bbb064d25a7a3593458e0e83.jpg

11. Aug 18, 2010 at 4:58 AM
    Art

Art Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    4x4 SR5
    2 inch body lift, 33in tires
    I have never believed in vendors dyno results. Too easy to manipulate the data on those.

As for everyone with a K&N or other oil based air filter(even the TRD Filter), be careful when you clean it, if you put too much oil on it the filter will not hold the oil and it will get sucked into your intake.. Not really a problem for the engine unless its gets on the MAF sensor.

12. Aug 18, 2010 at 5:48 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Whatever you do, don't kick the white mouse.

13. Aug 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    I noticed a difference when i installed my AFE stage 2 si. Gone was the sluggish feeling my truck had from takeoff. It doesnt down shift as much when pulling hills. Couple that with my URD maf sensor calibrator and exhaust and hold on :D

14. Aug 24, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    judd94

judd94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Vehicle:
    17 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    Mods in Progress
    i have a trd cai which we all know is the same one. i completely agree.

what i wonder is how much difference is there between a trd cai and just dropping in a filter

Products Discussed in

To Top