1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

washing and cleaning up a harley?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by smbundy13, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    smbundy13

smbundy13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    ok, as most of yall know, I just inherited my first bike.

It is a harley sportster 883. I feel like I need to clean it up a bit. It isnt in bad shape by any stretch but it has been at least several months since I know it was washed or cleaned up.

MY question is, what are yall using to wash yalls bikes? I have some pretty nice car wash solution that I use on my truck and wife's car. Can I use this stuff on the bike? even the chrome parts like exhaust etc?

anything I should look out for when washing?

thanks very much for your help.

2. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    I have had good luck with the S100 stuff and turtle wax chrome polish. Dont wash with any pressure, u will force water where it doesn't belong. a nozzleless hose with a sponge is all you need.

3. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    moorefun

moorefun Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DC TRD PreRunner
    S100 works good. It is kind of expensive. I use simple green and dilute it 50/50 with water. Put in a pump up sprayer. I use car wash soap with a microfiber mit on the body parts.I have been using a pressure washer on mine for years. I have a Street Glide, I just make sure not to hit the controls on the handlebars or the dash. I then use an electric leaf blower to blow off all of the water. Then hit everything with quick detailer spray.

4. Aug 18, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    smbundy13

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    cool thanks guys.. i was just planning on using my nice soft car wash sponge with the turle wax car wash solution on it.

5. Aug 18, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Nailed it, including how to dry the bike. Leaf blowers are incredibly effective. :)

6. Aug 18, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    Nick54

Nick54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Bike Bright is what I use to wash my 95 Softail Custom, spray on cool metal let foam and hose off. I then break out my dedicated leaf blower and dry the bike with a blast of air form the blower then towel off the troublesome areas. I then use Klasse all-in-one Paint Cleaner & Polish followed by the Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. Check out the Klasse stuff, you won't be disappointed.

Here's the manufacturers write up on Bike Bright:
    Bike Bright has a triple action formula that washes, cleans and degreases from headlight to taillight! Specially formulated for motorcycles and motorbikes, Bike Brite has been recommended and approved by leading motorcycle manufacturers. Biodegradable, non-acid, pH controlled and containing corrosion inhibitors. Special brighteners help keep rust and grease from forming. Just spray it on and hose it off. Safe for all surfaces.

7. Aug 18, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    smbundy13

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    so, where can I get the bike bright stuff? as well as the klasse stuff? just like an autozone type place?

thanks alot.

8. Aug 18, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    Hellmutt

Hellmutt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Piqua, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 TRDsport 4x4 DC
    sadly, I've only put Husky Liners in it thus far - tend to blow all my cash on my bikes and guitars.
    Your electronic controls / gauges will be factory sealed ( to an extent ) so a little water on those is not a problem - just don't drown them and make sure to dry the bike completely before you attempt to start it or ride it.......and stay away from the exhaust outlet(s) when rinsing to avoid dumping water into the pipes, the engine will normally purge/boil it all back out on a good long ride but I usually avoid that area all together and go over it with some good cleaner and detailer.
    Dont push water into the battery tray / compartment either - just good common sense on that, right?
    Also, beware of the intake or airbox - make sure you never use water under pressure around any of these areas, and you'll never be in trouble........enjoy the bike!!

9. Aug 18, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    I only use a pressure washer on the wheels. Then before it dries I spray 50/50 diluted Armorall in the engine and cables/wires, and tires. I spend lots of time detail drying , then decide whether it needs a coat of Liquid Glass (08 Visions have notoriously soft clear coats).In the end it looks like this..

Vision 3.jpg

10. Aug 19, 2010 at 3:55 AM
    Tadcaster

Tadcaster Dogs n Trucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD Off Road
    Threads like this reinforce my decision to go with a Beemer GS. No chrome to polish, just ride in a rain shower to rinse off the mud and keep going!

Dual Sport bikes are for those who would rather ride than polish!

11. Aug 19, 2010 at 4:13 AM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:

Agreed... my '97 Fat Boy has only been washed on purpose twice. Once when I got married because she had to look good for the pictures, and the second time when my wife offered to :D. Other than that, it only gets a quick wipe down with a bottle of diluted simple green when I am doing any soft of maintenance.

12. Aug 19, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    smbundy13

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Birmingham
    yeah i dont plan on detailing the thing. I just dont want the paint or chrome to get pitted bc of dirt buildup.. (if that is possible that is)

Products Discussed in

To Top