1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 1500's at 2.5"

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Forster46, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Aug 19, 2010 at 1:26 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    mine are at 2" , much firmer ride but I luv it as well , the "bone jarring" ride while offroading & hitting ruts ,rocks, etc; is what I had BEFORE the 5100's with the stock gas charged bilsteins I'd bottom out because the susp. was too soft, after the 5100 install those same obstacles that would shatter your teeth were hardly felt at all & trust me When I wheel its not bombing down some dirt road, I've done rated trails (Bronco Peak) with single black diamond rating (most difficult) with no bottoming out, I wouldn't even try it before with stock susp.....:cool:

Web PDVD_094.jpg
    Web_DSC01911.jpg

2. Aug 19, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Good to know, I thought Eibach stopped making them for the Taco :).

Glad to hear you like a stiff and ruff ride, but your shocks still hit the limit of their down travel (bottom out) when your wheels droop 2-3" and with porlonged use could cause them to fail :cool:. Sounds like you need to look into a quality coil over with all that hardcore wheeling you do there...

3. Aug 19, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Never said I couldn't bottom out, I said the shit that was doing it before with the stock susp. stopped after the 5100's, & its not that I do "hardcore wheeling" I got the impression from what you said to someone else . " Do you offroad much or do you just bomb down a dirt road once in awhile " & I was just letting you know that I actually do 4 wheel mine, if your talking about "wheel droop" Wouldn't that be "topping out " at the top of shock travel ? I dunno this is my first IFS & honestly I'd like to dump the whole fucking IFS drivetrain & go back to a solid axle 4x's I've had plenty of them

4. Aug 19, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    I'm really not sure how to respond to this...I wasn't asking you what you did with your truck. So when you injected your story it didn't make sense to me. I was asking ToucanV13 about his setting, because he has them set to 2.5". My point was that if you are driving around the city not offroading much to any then it's probably fine. But for both it can be an uncomfortable ride and limit the travel of your suspension, wich can hurt your off road capabilities.

5. Oct 3, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    bueno12

bueno12 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Summerfield, NC
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5, 3.4L V6, 2WD
    Weather guards, chrome tube steps, Black UWS tool box, Billies on all four corners, fronts at 2.5"
    I do a lot of hauling heavy loads of materials, I desperately need a good AAL to match my Billies set a 2.5 in the front and Billies in the back. What brand of AAL is going to give me the extra inches of lift in the back that I need so I stop from bottoming out my stock leaf springs? I want it to ride well as well as give me the support i need in the rear for the hauling. i've been looking at a lot of brands but need y'all's opinions on the right leaves for my needs.

Products Discussed in

To Top