1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 tacoma Power outlet fuse keeps blowing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bmaynar2, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    bmaynar2

bmaynar2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    White, very sharp
    Turned off seat belt beeper
    Hello,

I just bought a 2008 toyota tacoma when i was visiting lexington kentucky last week. Anyways it is a very sharp truck and so far I love it. However i am having a problem. The fuse behind the coin holder for the cig lighter and power outlet keeps blowing. It blows as soon as i plug anything in the power outlet. So i got a splitter deal and used the cig lighter outlet to run my siruis radio and high range transmitter for it. Neither of them draw much power. It worked on the cig outlet for 3 days. I unpluged it to re-route my wires. When i plugged it back in it blew the fuse again. I have replaced that fuse 5 times now. I even upgraded it to a 25 and it still keeps blowing. Im almost certain there has to be a skinned wire inside the dash or something that is causing it to short out when i plug something in. If anyone else has had this problem can you please tell me how you fixed it. This is getting very annoying.

[​IMG]

If not does anyone know how i can take the power outlet out to check it.

Thanks,
    Bobby

2. Aug 1, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    You probably have a short. Find the wires for it and follow them where ever they go and see if one is cut or the sheeting on the wire is torn.

3. Aug 1, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    bmaynar2

bmaynar2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    White, very sharp
    I have a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on this truck with no deductable. If i start pulling stuff out to check the wires will that terminate my warranty? I would take it to the toyota dealer and let them fix it. But i know they will want to keep the truck for a few days. I need it to get back and forth to work so thats kind of a last option thing

4. Aug 1, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    bmaynar2

bmaynar2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    White, very sharp
    I will go back outside and look under the dash. Who knows i may not have to pull any of it out. I will update you if i find anything.

5. Aug 1, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    bmaynar2

bmaynar2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    White, very sharp
    Ok the wire is not accesable by looking under dash. Some how the ports have to slide out or the bottom cubby hole in order to access it. Anyone know how with out damaging it?

6. Aug 1, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    Yes, you're on the right track as far as it being a short. You have to be careful when replacing fuses. The fuse is to protect the wire from failing (burning up) due to the load. Going with a higher amp fuse is asking for a fire.

Good luck.

7. Aug 1, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    bmaynar2

bmaynar2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    White, very sharp
    Do you know how to take the power ports out to check the wiring?

8. Aug 1, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    shocker01

shocker01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    5100 Billies, drop-in k&n, deck plate, gray wire, Dynomax exhaust.
    If it only blows when you plug in a certain device, it's probably that device. Don't burn it down in the meantime overrating your wiring with too big of a fuse.

9. Aug 1, 2010 at 3:37 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Look very close at the inside of the power socket. It is a long shot, but there could be something inside the socket. I had a vehicle that did the same thing, there turned out to be a small staple that had fallen into the outlet. Kinda hard to happen to these trucks since the socket is completely horizontal, but worth looking into.

10. Aug 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    another way to check a short is to remove the fuse then take a volt meter. put it to diode check so it beeps when you touch the two together. put one probe straight down the center and one on the side wall of the lighter socket. if it beeps you indeed have a short.

You can grab the edge of the lighter socket and gently pull/twist it out. unplug the lighter check the wire to ground it should nt beep. if it does just keep following the wire until you find the short

11. Aug 1, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    also, dont put more than a 7.5a fuse or you could burn your truck up. if you popped a 25a fuse you have a dead short and can risk a fir by putting in fuses larger than the capacity of the wire

12. Aug 1, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    bmaynar2

bmaynar2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    White, very sharp
    Right now im out of spare fuses got to get more this week. But i will indeed take ur advice to put the oem spec fuse back. I did check inside the port for foreign objects. That was one of my first thoughts. I have 4 boys and they are constently doing stuff like that. However there was nothing inside of it. I did do a contennuity check on the fuse port and did not get a reading. I will try it again on back side of port once i get it out. Thanks

13. Aug 1, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    continuity on the fuse port wont tell you anything except there is no fuse. the positive from the battery come to the fuse and continues through the other side. it wont show a short.

14. Aug 2, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I know it's been said before but I'll say it again, don't put a higher amp fuse in that slot or any slot for that matter. You are just begging for trouble.

15. Aug 4, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    bmaynar2

bmaynar2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    White, very sharp
    I called the dealer ship and yes they will fix it for free but the problem is they want to keep the truck for 3 days to do it. That is so ignorant. Anyways i will attempt to do it myself before going that route. Does anyone know were i can find a stymatic for it? Im journeyman lineman not a machanic but im sure i can fix it. Just need to know how to get the bottom section of the dash out to inspect the wires.

16. Aug 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    heres a schematic. your a lineman this should be a breeze for you. with the fuse removed did you check continuity from the positive to negative in the socket???

[​IMG]

17. Aug 21, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    bmaynar2

bmaynar2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    White, very sharp
    Found the solution to the problem! Well somewhat. If i dont plug in all the way to the outlets, (Just enough for them to turn on) it doesnt blow the fuse. I looked, there is nothing inside the port. So i wonder why it blows if its plugged all the way in. It has to be going phase to ground some how (For non jourymans, that moreless means shorting out).

18. Aug 21, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    bmaynar2

bmaynar2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    White, very sharp
    Thank you so much

19. Sep 16, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    bmaynar2

bmaynar2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    White, very sharp
    I fixed the problem several weeks ago. I intended on updating you on my findings but with my wife in the hospital and me taking care of my four boys, i simply forgot about it.

Anyways here was the solution.

1. Took both power outlets out to were i could see the connection.
    2. The connections on both were corroded because who ever owned the truck before me, did not put patorlium based inhibitor on the connections.
    3. The power outlet positive prong was bent way over some how. (I believe the previous owner replaced the outlets with pour workmanship)
    4. I got the connections cleaned up and straightened (Carefully so i wouldnt brake it)
    5. I put the inhibitor on it that i normally use to hook up house services in the meter base slides.
    6. Put a small shrink on the connections to keep them sealed.

So far i have not had any problems what so ever. The fuse was replaced with the factory 7.5 mini fuse. I believe the problem has been corrected.

Note: If you do anywork on your tacoma please take your time and use the best workmanship that you are capable of doing. (Take pride in your work) The reason i say this is, because if you later trade the truck off, you have set the next owner up to have needless problems like i just experienced. I have a moto i live by. "If its worth doing, then its worth doing right!" It doesnt always involve more money, it mainly boils down to your work ethic.

Thanks for all the help,

Bobby R Maynard Jr

Trikster likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top