1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone else getting the recall work done?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jr114, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Aug 23, 2010 at 8:54 AM
    10silvertaco

10silvertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Vehicle:
    no longer own Tacoma, now own 2011 Outback
    I got my gas panel done last Friday. I don't feel the different when I press the panel while driving. I told them not touch my "TRD" floormats and leave it alone. It fine with me. They said my floor mats still good and just fix the gas panel. Take about 45 minutes to wait. It not that bad.
    They said if I am not happy about the gas panel, then let them know. I cannot tell if mine is replace or shave on the bottom. It look like smooth cuts or something. I just quick check the panel and drive off. I was in hurry back to work that day. I will look at it later today and take pictures.

2. Aug 23, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    scullcrusher

scullcrusher scullcrusher

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    michigan
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma sr5
    3inch lift
    just had mine done! 1.5hrs! no new mats!
    cheap ----ers! steam clean floor!
    scullcrusher

3. Aug 24, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    Mariner

Mariner Member

Member:

you are not guaranteed new floor mats. I had the old all weather floor mats and the dealer simply installed the clips that held them down on the drivers side. I was told all I needed was the clips.

4. Aug 24, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    Mariner

Mariner Member

Member:

I had serious issues. Truck had no power and getting above 50 mph was difficult. Te shaved pedal was dangerous. I called Toyota HQ and took my truck back to the dealer this morning. A new pedal was installed. This one 3" long. Still small and smaller than what is on the 2010. I still don't like the gas pedal. The system was reflashed again and now the truck appears to run much better. I'll have to drive another few miles on the interstate to see how it goes but the small pedal is still awkward.

More than likely I'll trade this 41 month old truck that just hit 20K miles this morning in or sell it outright and buy something other than a Toyota.

5. Aug 24, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    What the HeeHaw is a "gas panel"??????

6. Aug 24, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I had safety recall 90L completed today, reflash and accelerator pedal cut. I kept my aftermarket all-weather mats. The dealership (Checkered Flag - Virginia Beach) could not have been nicer. Gave me a loaner.

Unless you get down on your knees and measure you would never know the difference.

Before and after pictures:

Uncut:
    [​IMG]

About 4 1/4":
    [​IMG]

About 2 1/2" from top of pedal to floor:
    [​IMG]

Cut:
    [​IMG]

About 3 1/8":
    [​IMG]

About 3" from top to floor (the same):
    [​IMG]

7. Aug 24, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Thanks for the clear concise pics.

8. Aug 25, 2010 at 5:13 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Good post and excellent pics JP.

However, given the choice...I would have my pedal uncut.

:cheers:

9. Aug 25, 2010 at 5:21 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    It is not all about size gentlemen .... y'all have to put that behind you ..... :cool:

Chicks will still dig ya ... it is all about attitude. If you get up in the morning pissing confidence you'll get through.

10. Aug 25, 2010 at 5:44 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    For me...

It's about CHOICE. And I have well documented my position on my lack of choice here.

And it's about Freedom. I should be free to choose what I want done to my 30 thousand dollar truck.

Some will say "but Larry, it's a safety issue...don't you want you, your family...and the public at large to be safe?"

Take a look at some of the modded trucks on this site...you think they are all safe? I don't think so. How about some of those huge steel bumpers that are meant for off road racing Ivan Stewart style...that are mostly driven on the street...are they safe for the family in a Civic or Prius? Nope.

BUT, I support those with the radical modded trucks to CHOOSE to do it!

Get it?

11. Aug 25, 2010 at 5:51 AM
    RedskinRedTaco

RedskinRedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4 Offroad Crewcab
    Trifecta folding Touneau Cover, 275/70/16 LTX M/S, Running Boards, Dynamat, tint, Alpine W404 Video system w/ backup cam, Sirius Sat, Polk Audio Component Speakers frt and back, Alpine 4x50 amp. Billy's 5100's set @ 1 3/4, 1" rear blocks, Rear TSB, trimmed frt mud flaps 4", TRD Exhuast, K&N filter. Electric Brake.
    I already had it done. I have noticed no ill effects.

12. Aug 25, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Thats a Honda Civic problem, :D

13. Aug 25, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I let them do the 90L campaign. Absolutely no difference in drivability as far as the pedal is concerned.

14. Aug 25, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    DonL

DonL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Prescott, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Monster Exhaust, Shell, 5100's all around, Airlift airbags, Hankook Atm, K&M air filter
    Had it done this morning. Took 45 minutes. No harm, no foul!

15. Aug 25, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    4motox

4motox Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner DC, 5100 Billys, HD Deavers
    5100 Billys, Custom Deavers
    Just had mine done. Honestly, there is no difference in feel under your foot with a smaller pedal IMO. I drive with flip flops all the time and can't tell it has been cut. What I can tell is the tranny reflash. My transmission is smoother and shifts at better points. Thats really what I was after...

16. Aug 25, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    4motox

4motox Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner DC, 5100 Billys, HD Deavers
    5100 Billys, Custom Deavers
    BTW...the dealer told me that the TRD vehicles do not have the re flash done. Mine is an SR5, so the re flash was done.

17. Aug 25, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    im not having them do anything to my truck.....recall wise
    1 year and had no problems "if it is not broken dont fix it"

18. Aug 25, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    BCTacoma2010

BCTacoma2010 Michigan Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Southwest Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Ford Platinum F150
    My TRD Sport was done last Friday and they did the re-flash. It does make a difference.

19. Aug 26, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    Climber

Climber Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Double CabSR-5
    I had the recall done. They just trimmed the bottom of the gas pedal a bit, did it neatly, looks fine. They reflashed the ECM to install the software that prevents full throttle acceleration while brakes are applied. They did NOT take the floor mats: they said I did not want to wait 4 months for the new ones, and besides, they thought the new ones were crap (much thinner than the originals) and that I would be happier with the originals. They told me to make sure they are secured with the hooks. I'm OK with that.

I tested the new software and it works exactly as promised: you can apply ALOT of power and the brakes at the same time with no interference from the computer, so it won't affect 4-wheeling. But if you completely floor the accelerator and apply heavy brakes, the computer takes the engine down to idle and the truck stops. As soon as you release the gas pedal, everything goes back to normal.

I don't know if they combine the tranny reflash with this one, because I had already had that reflash done. If you haven't had the transmission control software reflashed, have that done, it makes a huge difference (much better).

Of course, none of this will save those people who confuse the brake and gas, and I'm pretty sure that some of the wrecks were people doing that.

I think the fixes are fine, and don't interfere with the operation of the truck.

20. Aug 26, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    I thought that I was through with this but :eek: .... I had the recall performed 2 days ago .... I hadn't noticed anything different with the pedal.

Most of you saw my pictures .... the dealership removed 1 1/8" .... so, I am driving with my usual foot position and for shits and giggles decided to see how far my foot would have to "slide" before it came off the pedal.

Boys and girls, it took some doing from my usual stance ..... I am VERY pleased with both the pedal and transmission reflash. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top