1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why do we do this?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Wolfman, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Aug 30, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    Wolfman

Wolfman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    As of Friday, August 13th, I became unemployed. Now with plenty of time to address a long list of things to do around the house between looking for work, and with the place on the market, I began sorting through the "stuff" that has been acquired through the years.

As I am pretty much moved into the motor home now, and with no desire to store a big pile of stuff in an expensive storage unit, I've taken a hard look at the crap that I've collected - some of which I have been dragging around with me since my first run through college. After two weeks of sorting, scratching my head, and wondering what I was thinking at the time when saving a particular item, I've finished with the lion share of the trashing. This is what went to the dump.

P1090084_4f639250f1e121de8a6f2251dc8d725e7e1af630.jpg

Yeah, that load was higher than the cab.

By the time I was done, I didn't even need to get any boxes, due to all of the plastic bins that I emptied out from throwing away total junk.

This weekend will be the estate sale to get rid of what wasn't thrown in the trash. I cannot wait for all of this stuff to be GONE. :cool:

2. Aug 30, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Probably cause some of us measure our quality of life and happiness based on the superficial things we hold on to or strive to have.

Good for you for cleaning house.

3. Aug 30, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    That's why I move about every 5 years. I'm forced to get rid of crap. And if I run across a box that I haven't unpacked since the last time I moved I throw it way since I didn't need or I replaced whatever was in it. Feels good to get rid of unneed stuff. Now to get my wife to stop collecting it.

4. Aug 30, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    Wolfman

Member:
    Paradise, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    One of the beauts was two snowmobiles and a trailer. Never mind that I live in North Central Texas. One snowmobile and the trailer ended up grown in back in the pasture. I was actually asked about them, sold both for $40. The same person later came back and bought an air compressor, where he saw the other snowmobile partially disassembled in my shop. He told his son about it (he was given the rusted lump on the trailer), who gave me another $100 for that one. I can actually move around in my little workshop for the first time in over 5 years. These were the things that I was expecting that I would have to haul off to the scrap yard to get rid of them. Go figure.

5. Aug 30, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    Wolfman

Member:
    Paradise, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5

That is the thing. I don't. My father is a hoarder, and it drives me nuts when I go to my folks house. Unlike what you see on that TV series, you would not realize that he hoards when you first walk in. All of his shit is in their basement, and my Mother will not let him pile stuff in the living part of the house, and constantly gets on his case when things work out that she cannot go to the condo during one of his work shifts. He immediately starts piling up stuff there when they are apart.

By the time I was done, I stood there and scratched my head on how I ended up with all of this crap. :notsure:

Oh well, dumping that load only cost me $27. I probably could have made some money separating out the stuff more, and taking it to where ever I could get scrap value for some of the stuff, but I simply wanted rid of it.

Products Discussed in

To Top