1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Talk me into the spring TSB.....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Orion, May 17, 2010.

1. May 28, 2010 at 6:08 AM
    Orion

Orion [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    I took the plunge and got it done...... very happy with the results. Ride is tighter and not at all rougher...... now I don't have to wonder if I should have.....phew.....

Thanks all for the advice.

I say do it if your on the fence!

2. May 29, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Good to hear. Thanks for posting ;) If I find I need it when I'm moving, I will get it done since it will still be under warrenty by then.

3. May 30, 2010 at 6:42 AM
    copdude33

copdude33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Roxboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited 4x4
    Tint, bed cover, led high beams, HID low beams, blacked emblems
    Got mine done on my 2010 and love it. It makes a difference in the ride and lifts it up higher. Rides better now to me. I got the leaf springs replaced and a four wheel alignment at no cost to me. All together it came to about $2500. Don't delay

4. Aug 31, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    I'm resurrecting this thread and possibly eating a little crow (see post #35). I have a 2010 Dbl-Cab TRD OR.

This past month I got a firewood permit. I hooked up my small 5x10 foot utility trailer, threw in the chainsaw and off I went. With the trailer and bed of the truck completely full, I stuck my hand in back of the tire. The bump stop and frame were about 1/2 inch apart. I didn't think I would load it heavy often but I've found that I do it about once a month.

Now I'm still on the fence about the leaf spring TSB but I took the opportunity to stand in the bed and jump up and down thereby squarely hitting the stop and frame (as per advice on those that need proof to the dealer that you are bottoming out). As I was driving down the graded dirt road I did feel it bottoming out once in awhile.

Let's just say that I was to get the TSB done. First, I don't want to lift my truck. I know that's not popular but it's plenty high for me and almost too high for my wife already. Second, looks takes a back seat to functionality but I don't want it to be butt ugly. How much higher is the rear end going to be? I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of other trucks with TSBs done and not lifted in the front. For me the TSB is the cheap route if it still looks presentable.

Also lets just say that money isn't an object (yea, right!). With not wanting to lift the truck wouldn't this be the perfect application for suspension airbags like Airlift or Firestone instead of the TSB? The truck stays at stock height, extra support when needed, and still has a cushy ride 95% of the time when empty. I'm willing to invest the airbags, compressor and even a remote control switch so I don't have to have gauges or hoses in the cab.

5. Aug 31, 2010 at 10:33 PM
    tony92629

tony92629 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Dana Point
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Tacoma Prerunner
    5100's all the way around. Front set at .85. Camburg Spindles. Camburg Uniball 1.25 UCA's. Total Chaos LCA skid plates. Custom Deaver 10 pack rear leaf spring. BFG AT KO's 285/70/17, Weathertech floor liners, Wet Okoles. Midland CB/PA, Firestick.
    I have a 2010 DC Pre-Runner - TRD Sport with XM and the JBL system. I have bottomed out a couple of times over some small dips (Going 50 in a 35 and didnt see the dip - oops) without a load before the upgrade. With a load...pre-TSB upgrade, I can certainly feel the weight and change in handling as I would expect with any load. I have 5100's all around. Front set at 2.5 with a 1" block. I am very happy with the 5100's. Just had the TSB leaf Spring replaced for a couple of reasons:

*Upgraded from 3 leaf to 4 leaf pack - Yes, it is an upgrade!
    *Got a $2000 upgrade for free (dealer installed)
    *It did raise my truck a little, now its perfectly level
    *The ride just feels more stable and I feel safer for some reason.
    *My truck just looks a little more bad ass!

I dont know why Toyota does this - My opinion is that 95 percent of the people are happy with the existing set up..the other 5 percent (enthusiast, off road guys or people who really use their truck for towing and hauling ) get it done for whatever their reasons are.

I love my Tocoma -

Not a hard core off road guy - an occasional trail or fire road.
    Not a heavy hauler - But when I do, I will feel better.
    Not doing every mod under the sun (so I think).

And Yes, I have Wet Okloles and Weather Tech's. Highly recommend both!

And Yes, I can stop looking at my Truck.

[​IMG]

6. Sep 1, 2010 at 4:05 AM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    From my experience, stiffer springs would be worse off road. You want to have as much flex as possible w/o losing control. Just my opinion.

7. Sep 1, 2010 at 4:20 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    ........and from my experience, leaf springs appropriate for a much smaller vehicle that isn't advertised all over the place hauling stuff and playing offroad, have no place on a truck. IMO, bottoming out and all that shifty loose feeling doing anything other than parking with these joke ass 3 leaf packs is far worse than having less than rock crawling flex capabilities with some leaf packs actually capable of performing light to moderate truck activities that most people would do with a truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top