1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bout to order rims and tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by TanSR5x4, Sep 6, 2010.

?

AT or MT

Poll closed Oct 6, 2010.
  1. BFG All Terrain

36.4%
  2. BFG Mud Terrain KM2

63.6%
  3. Other and explanation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sep 6, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 [OP] Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    ok i got my lift on the way and so now im lookin into wheels and tires and 4wheelparts has some good lookin offers and prices i think right now so i think im gonna pull the trigger! i just wanna know what you guys think and it everything is gonna fit and work well

i think im gonna go with these rims cuz they are inexpensive and i really like the way they look. my only question is the dreaded backspacing:eek: and i have manual locking hubs and idk really how that works.... so yeah here they are
    http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetail.aspx?partNo=PCW98-5883F

and for tires i really want some 33x10.50 and ive heard great things about BFG ATs like they are just great all around and they wear really good but ive also been lookin at the BFG KM2s cuz they look like beasts. this is my daily driver but i like to hit trails around town. but pretty much if they are not gonna be on concrete the only thing we have around here is mud lol maybe a little sand here and there.
    http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetail.aspx?partno=BFG63540
    http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetail.aspx?partno=BFG08012

any opinions or insight will be greatly appreciated:D

and rep for any of these questions answered

2. Sep 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    I've been using BFG ATs exclusively since the mid-to-late 80s on three different 4x4s

I live in Boulder, CO and travel up into the mountains a ton in the winter on all sorts of conditions. I also 4 wheel a bit. Nothing burly, relatively speaking, but certainly far more than groomed dirt roads, and I cannot express how awesome these tires are.

On road, off road, blizzards, rain (get them siped) - they perform to the max.

I know a bunch of people consider them overpriced because you're paying for the name, etc... but there's a reason these tires have become the gold standard of all around All Terrains.

3. Sep 6, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    TanSR5x4

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    ok siped? what is that? and yeah ive only heard great things about them but idk there aint no snow in texas, or at least down south here. ive been thinkin about it and i mostly drive on the road but if its not concrete it will be mud. probally like 80% road 20% trail and mud or maybe a little less. i would love to here from someone with the KM2s

4. Sep 6, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    mattleegee

mattleegee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD PRO 6sp
    I loved my BFG AT's also but they sucked in the rain, never got them in the snow but dry pavement was good and mud they tracked everything

I replaced them with Dynapro ATMs and defiantly alot better in the rain... still havent got them in snow either

5. Sep 6, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Siping is when you essentially cut horizontal grooves into the tread to help push water out from under your tires. It's essentially a must with all terrain tread, especially if you drive on snowy and rainy roads.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos

6. Sep 6, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    2010whitetaco

2010whitetaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gaston
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    single cab 5-lug
    ReadyLift 2 3/4 front 1 3/4 rear universal armrest Texas Rangers decal 235/75/15 Goodyear Duratracs Kobalt Slim Line Compact Truck Tool Box Secondary air filter removed TOYOTA decal on tailgate
    Just a little fyi I bought some wheels from 4 wheel parts like that for my truck and I like you wasn’t sure about the backspacing stuff, I got a call a couple of days later about the wheels that I ordered not fitting my truck so I told them to cancel my order. I then found a different wheel that they said would fit and ordered that . It didn’t and rubbed on my brake caliber so I went to take them back and was told by the sales guy that I was in the wrong and that I was stuck with them. I then called my local 4-wheel parts that I just had a lift installed at I the best he could do was refund a portion of my money less the shipping and the restocking fee. The sales guys misinformation cost me about a 130 bucks. Make sure they will fit before you order them!

7. Sep 6, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Mmm.. siping. learned something today!

8. Sep 6, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    TanSR5x4

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    i see! great info! i will most definitely look into that;) i was originally just gonna get the ATs but idk i really like the aggressive look of the MTs and the sidewall. but im still pretty concerned with keepin them MPGs up. idk i really wanted to get some ordered today but im torn lol

anybody know anything about the rims? backspacing? i heard those will work. idk about the manual hub really i figured it would be fine

9. Sep 6, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    TanSR5x4

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    wow thats lame!!! and thats like my fear now. i didnt wanna be just another will it fit thread? but i couldnt find much info on some of the questions i had and i really wanna be sure. i also wanna order soon cuz they have a few rebate deals and stuff and im gonna feel dumb if i miss out lol

10. Sep 6, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    TanSR5x4

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    i put a poll in cuz im a little bored and i just figured out how and i know how much everyone loves to vote!

What do ya think?

11. Sep 6, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    TanSR5x4

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    anybody know anything about rims?

12. Sep 6, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    SR54x4

SR54x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 TRD SR5 Tundra
    Magnaflow 12588, TSC lo-pro extra deep toolbox, step bars and bull bar
    you should check out the goodyear wrangler duratracs. i just got them and they are awesome. they look kind of like the km2s but are an all terrain instead of a mud terrain. so you will get the aggressive look in an all terrain. i just got them on and so far on the road they are great, pretty quiet for how aggressive they are. took them through a field and climbed some steep grass covered hills while in 2wd as well. haven't had them really offroad yet but many on this forum have and say they are great.

13. Sep 6, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    Archangel

Archangel Insurance Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 IS250
    You could say I'm a bit of a wheel and tire guy... I have a suggestion for you. You live in Houston... Why not just go to Discount Tire and take a picture of the wheel you want with the name of the wheel and it's Manufacturer, and if they can get it, they will, and beat ANY competitors TOTAL DRIVE OUT price. I have only ever run the BFG All-Terrains on my truck. I've never siped them, and never had any problems with wet traction, hydroplaning, uneven wear (provided you rotate them, and if you buy from Discount, they do it for FREE). I typically get about 65,000 plus out of them. I probably will replace them with the Mud Terrains because it's something I've always wanted to do. If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me, and I will be more than happy to answer any questions I can for you.

14. Sep 6, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    Archangel

Archangel Insurance Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 IS250
    The unfortunately, the Duratrac's have been out just long enough that they are starting to be replaced. My main concern regarding them is that the lifespan isn't as long as the BFG's, and they cost almost the same. Goodyear's have had consistant quality issues in the past. And given the amount of money that you spend on tires, you should get a tire that performs day in and out, time after time.

15. Sep 6, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    SR54x4

SR54x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 TRD SR5 Tundra
    Magnaflow 12588, TSC lo-pro extra deep toolbox, step bars and bull bar
    your right its a gamble with how long they will actually last since they have been out for only a little over a year. but almost everyone who has them said they are wearing evenly and nicely and they perform great in all conditions including snow which a mudder wouldn't. I know the OP is in Texas so snow isn't an issue but if hes looking for something that looks aggressive like a mudder but performs like an AT and is willing to take the gamble on how long they will actually last it might be something to look into.

16. Sep 6, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    TanSR5x4

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    whoa spokesman for discount tire? lol yeah i always get my tires from there and i love the warranty they offer its so worth it i just didnt know they would price match. thats definitely worth a try. the ATs would probally suit me good cuz im not off road all that much but when i am it gets nasty fast and i really dont wanna get stuck. im really leaning on the MTs now.

im still not sure on the rims tho. i just wanna make sure they will fit with about 3" lift and 3.75 backspacing. i wanted to get this all ordered tonight but i suppose ill check out the numbers tomorrow

17. Sep 6, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    TanSR5x4

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    yeah i checked them out and idk i like the sidewall but idk about the overall look and i really dont care for the price. people say the BFG ATs and MTs are expensive but they seem reasonable to me

Products Discussed in

To Top